15 – 18
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Midwife Activity Manager/Medical Activity Manager or PMR
Reports to (Functional)
Activity Manager (if any) /Project Medical Referent
Supervising the clinical activities and guaranteeing the quality of midwifery care in the department, according to MSF protocols , values and universal hygiene standards in order to provide a high quality Mother and Child Health (MCH) care to the population
- Supervising, supporting and evaluating the team under his/her responsibility particularly midwives, midwife assistants and other related staff in her team such as cleaners. Planning and organizing their work (areas, days, absences, visits, holidays, etc) and coaching them in their work with special focus in following all appropriate protocols and procedures
- Ensuring team work and a professional relationship between maternity and other departments.
- Supervising the clinical activities in all the maternity departments and activities such as ante-natal consultations, delivery and after delivery follow up, post-natal consultations, family planning consultations, new-born vaccinations and liaising with the Medical Doctor about the patients who need special care times, visiting hours, etc.
- Ensuring that the staff on duty knows, implements and follows at all times the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control in the medical premises ensuring high standards of hygiene in the working environment
- Ensuring that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained, cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols, reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service.
- Being responsible for the department-related pharmacy activities (stock and consumption monitoring) as well as maintenance of the medical equipment
- Being responsible for ensuring that all the administrative procedures, patients’ data and documents are filled in correctly and registered for compiling monthly reports reflecting the activity in the department.
- In certain contexts, being responsible for ensuring that the maternity staff is able to identify, receive and provide care to the victims of the SGBV in collaboration with the Obs & Gyne MD and following the protocols
Diploma of Midwife (or any Diploma recognized in the country and /or the Ministry of Health to practice as such)
Minimum 2 year experience as Midwife
Language Level Description
Threshold or intermediate
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
This job doesn't have technical skills.
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates loyalty, awareness and respect for MSF’s values
- Expresses his/her interest by talking/asking/giving informed opinions about MSF’s activities.
- Expresses he/she wants to work with MSF because of its principles and mission.
- Overtly expresses his/her satisfaction at belonging to MSF and defends MSF’s social mission.
- Refers to beneficiaries* when speaking about his/her own work.
- Always transmits a positive image of MSF in front of both colleagues and external people.
- Translates the principles of MSF into actions.
Adapts behaviour to the needs of the situation
- Accepts decisions which are not completely in line with his/her personal opinions.
- Is flexible in applying and adapting procedures.
- Adapts his/her behaviour to the characteristics of the interlocutor and/or situation.
- Learns from problems and difficulties, becoming more competent at resolving similar
situations in the future.
- Looks for adaptable solutions in order to achieve objectives.
- Reassesses priorities when circumstances change, focusing on objectives.
Understands other people’ s stress
- Has an understanding attitude towards other people’s mistakes and shortcomings.
- Gives calm and polite answers and repeats them patiently if necessary.
- Uses techniques or plans activities to manage his/her own stress.
- Responds and acts constructively in conflictive situations.
Results and Quality Orientation
Works towards objectives, preserving established standards
- Perseveres until the objectives of the job and the team have been met.
- Complies with the procedures, processes and rules set by MSF.
- Is aware that the purpose of his/her job is to meet the specified objectives.
- Is autonomous.
- Mobilizes resources.
- Analyses problems and constraints.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Shares information and coordinates with team and/or others
- Shares significant information in a timely manner and actively seeks the opinion of
team members or others through empathetic communication.
- Allows others to question work/input if this leads to improvement.
- Coordinates with other team members to ensure that common objectives are achieved.
- Shows interest in and empathy with team members.