PROJECT COORDINATOR SUPPORT
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Providing support to the Project Coordinator in the security management and the coordination tasks, ensuring a smooth relation with local and national authorities and contributing to the context analysis and follow-up according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to ensure the smooth running of the project
- Representing MSF externally together with the Project Coordinator (PC) or alone (when delegated) and negotiating on behalf of the project coordination in close cooperation with the PC and based on beforehand agreed messaging. Assisting in safeguarding and promoting MSF’s image externally
- Monitoring, analysing and reporting on key issues (security, risk, etc.) to the Project Coordinator and providing contextual information, through a sound knowledge of counterparts, parties, actors, authorities and military groups, in different administrations/parties and governorates/districts in order to improve understanding and decision making processes. Maintaining the security database and providing a biweekly context analysis based on recent incidents and developments
- Assisting in exploratory missions and assessments as needed and participating in the development of security plans
- Assisting the Project Coordinator in Internal and External Communication sessions and events about MSF (for National staff, the Ministry of Health staff, as well as local authorities, community leader, military actors, security forces) in order to improve awareness, understanding of MSF principles and services and public opinion adhesion. Write meeting minutes and contribute to the meeting logbook.
- Ensuring the continuity of relations/networking with local actors (other NGOs, UN agencies, local authorities, media, etc.) and filing and updating field contacts and correspondence in order to ensure information sources accuracy and its availability on regular basis. Organizing advocacy contacts and appointments for the Project Coordinator.
• Translating and reviewing documents and acting as an interpreter when needed. Assisting the Project Coordinator in the drafting of correspondences with authorities and counterparts (government officials, military actors, community leaders, UN agencies, NGOs, etc.) in order to ensure fluent and accurate communication flows.
- Preparing and conducting context, cultural and security briefings on the project context to new employees (national and international) in order to facilitate their integration and within the project environment. Ensuring regular security briefings/trainings of assessment team, drivers, and guards in consultation with the Project Coordinator.
- Being contactable by phone and available to assist the Project Coordinator with important context, security and operational issues that may occur outside of regular working hours unless otherwise agreed with the PC (e.g., holidays)
- Performing assigned additional responsibilities or tasks as required by the Project Coordinator
- University Diploma Level, preferably in the field of Social Sciences (Political Sciences, International Public Law, Anthropology, Economics, etc.)
- Essential: Experience in and exposure to working in a complicated political, security and humanitarian environment
- Essential: Experience in data collection, reporting and analysis
- Desirable two years previous experience in similar jobs in the field of humanitarian aid with MSF or other NGOs
- Desirable: Management experience
Language Level Description
Threshold or intermediate
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
This job doesn't have technical skills.
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates loyalty, awareness and respect for MSF’s values
- Expresses his/her interest by talking/asking/giving informed opinions about MSF’s activities.
- Expresses he/she wants to work with MSF because of its principles and mission.
- Overtly expresses his/her satisfaction at belonging to MSF and defends MSF’s social mission.
- Refers to beneficiaries* when speaking about his/her own work.
- Always transmits a positive image of MSF in front of both colleagues and external people.
- Translates the principles of MSF into actions.
Adapts behaviour to the needs of the situation
- Accepts decisions which are not completely in line with his/her personal opinions.
- Is flexible in applying and adapting procedures.
- Adapts his/her behaviour to the characteristics of the interlocutor and/or situation.
- Learns from problems and difficulties, becoming more competent at resolving similar
situations in the future.
- Looks for adaptable solutions in order to achieve objectives.
- Reassesses priorities when circumstances change, focusing on objectives.
Understands other people’ s stress
- Has an understanding attitude towards other people’s mistakes and shortcomings.
- Gives calm and polite answers and repeats them patiently if necessary.
- Uses techniques or plans activities to manage his/her own stress.
- Responds and acts constructively in conflictive situations.
Results and Quality Orientation
Works towards objectives, preserving established standards
- Perseveres until the objectives of the job and the team have been met.
- Complies with the procedures, processes and rules set by MSF.
- Is aware that the purpose of his/her job is to meet the specified objectives.
- Is autonomous.
- Mobilizes resources.
- Analyses problems and constraints.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Shares information and coordinates with team and/or others
- Shares significant information in a timely manner and actively seeks the opinion of
team members or others through empathetic communication.
- Allows others to question work/input if this leads to improvement.
- Coordinates with other team members to ensure that common objectives are achieved.
- Shows interest in and empathy with team members.