DEPUTY COORDINATOR in charge of WATSAN
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Logistics Coordinator or Watsan Coordinator
Reports to (Functional)
Logistics Coordinator or Watsan Coordinator
Supporting the Logistics Coordinator/ Watsan Coordinator through delegated tasks and responsibilities, replacing him/her in his/her absence in coordinating the Watsan activities in the mission and participating and collaborating in the implementation of strategies and support to the field in accordance with MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to enable the development of the mission and optimize the impact of the medical projects
- Participating actively in the definition and monitoring of annual project planning and budgets and the Emergency Preparation Plan, defining strategies and advising the Logistics Coordinator or Watsan Coordinator in the translation of the identified needs into objectives, priorities and resources needed for intervention
- Defining, monitoring, evaluating and ensuring the implementation of the strategies and overall Watsan activities in the mission, making adjustments where needed, according to MSF standards, protocols and procedures. This includes the following:
- Performing initial assessments or exploratory missions in collaboration with medical teams, identifying Watsan needs in the country and the development and leading of appropriate Watsan responses in collaboration with CMT members. (including emergency scenarios)
- Developing community participation strategies related to the improvement of Watsan practices, engaging local authorities or other non-governmental actors to enhance cooperation, local ownership, and environmental scope of projects in the field
- Ensuring the availability, collection and analyses of multidisciplinary data of any activity impacting health status of the affected population. Undertaking and coordinating operational research work in relation to Watsan technical inquiries in the field, and contributing to Watsan institutional learning on aspects of emergency response and other environmental health themes (Under the guidance of the Watsan Referent in HQ)
- Ensuring the availability of required Watsan materials and equipment in the mission in collaboration with the Logistics Coordinator and the Watsan Referent in HQ
- Implementing centralized Watsan reporting systems, project standards and indicators (both qualitative and financial) in order to ensure quality, terms and costs in collaboration with other CMT members
- Planning, supervising and implementing, in close coordination with the HR Coordinator, the associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, performance evaluation, detection of potential, development and internal communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and amount of knowledge required
- Ensuring technical support to his/her team as well as to all other teams in the mission
- Representing MSF in meetings with Authorities and other NGOs at the request of the Logistics Coordinator or Watsan Coordinator
- Performing tasks delegated by the Logistics Coordinator or Watsan Coordinator, as specified in his/her job description
- Academic background in engineering or an equivalent relevant training
- Watsan in Emergencies Training within MSF is strongly recommended
- Essential, at least 2 years of Watsan related professional experience, preferably within MSF
- Experience in or familiar with implementing and promoting the use of two or more of the following activities (water supply, excreta disposal, waste and waste water management, vector control, and dead bodies management) in two or more different contexts (conflicts, natural disasters, refugee/IDP camps, etc.)
- Desirable public health background or experience
Language Level Description
Effective Operational Proficiency or advanced
- Can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning.
- Can express ideas fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions.
- Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes.
- Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
This job doesn't have technical skills.
Has an overview and links current actions with organisational objectives
- Contributes towards the global vision.
- Relates the objectives of his/her project to MSF’s objectives.
- Is able to distinguish between working activities that give value to MSF’s objectives
and those that do not.
- Sets and maintains an order of priorities in his/her work according to MSF’s strategic
Anticipates clients’ needs
- Anticipates the need to offer information about the services provided.
- Offers services that deliver added value to clients.
- Responds to clients’ needs even when the demand is not explicit.
- Thinks about the effect of his/her actions on others.
- Is proactive in ascertaining the future needs of clients and understanding their
Teamwork and Cooperation
Builds team spirit within the organisation
- Fosters and encourages collaboration between members of different teams, services
and departments, even in difficult situations.
- Explains to others (in meetings, speeches, etc.) the importance of working in teams.
- Acts by example.
Uses actions and indirect influences to persuade
- Gives solid and coherent arguments to support his/her points to the interlocutor,
stressing the key information.
- Uses different communication tools and means (internal and external resources) to get
the message across.
- Selects communication strategies to have a persuasive impact on the interlocutor.
- Seeks backup from experts and third parties to strengthen his/her point of view.
- Manages his/her emotions.
People Management and Development
Works on the growth and development of team members
- Offers each team member an equal opportunity to succeed.
- Publicly acknowledges good performance and positively reinforces it.
- Considers the personal development of each team member and proposes an individual