15 – 18
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Project Coordinator/ Activity Manager/ Hospital director depending on the project’s organization
Reports to (Functional)
Activity manager (if any) / Project Medical Referent-MTL-MFP / Medical Coordinator
Organize and carry out surgery activities, ensure pre and post-operative surgical care, in accordance with MSF policies, protocols and universal hygiene standards and in close collaboration with medical staff in the emergency, intensive wards and operation theatre in order to improve patients’ health conditions.
- Coordinates the implementation of MSF clinical policies, tools, guidelines and protocols ( antibiotic prophylaxis, post-operative pain management, thrombo-prophylaxis, caesarean section, blood transfusion, etc) and recommendations (standard hygiene and sterilization rules, prevention to HIV, TB, Syphilis and Hep B exposure) in order to minimize clinical risks.
- Undertake pre-operative consultations, evaluating the surgical risks with the anaesthetist and/or other medical staff involved, and obtaining the patient’s signed consent to operate.
- Carry out emergency and programmed surgical intervention following MSF protocols and policies including swab counts, ensuring appropriate use of surgical equipment and proper OT registry entry/documentation of all OT intervention.
- Carry out post-operative clinical care and ward rounds collaborating with the anesthetist, the Operating Theatre Nurse and ward staff or other Unit Managers to ensure compliance with MSF protocols and rational use of medicines. Attend OPD, emergency room when required.
- In collaboration with the anaesthetist, carry-out the collection and analysis of quantitative surgical- anaesthesia data, using post-operative observation sheets, routine data collected, patient files, operating department register, patient file, etc to monitor quality. Monthly revue data and analyze clinical trends and comment on adverse events / poor clinical outcome. Support organizing the operating program and with OT staff monitor use of material and equipment and advise on instrument needs and coordinates patient referral.,
- Put in place the emergency disaster response plan of the hospital along with the anesthetist and the medical doctor and /or the responsible nurse and run role hospital practical rehearsals, in order to ensure the continuity of the services under any circumstance
- Knows and helps implement the accidental blood exposure policy.
- Plan, evaluate, and supervise the training of the staff (emergency and the out-patient teams) in order to ensure the amount of knowledge required and to improve people diagnosing, triage, and early detection capabilities.
- Supports other medical teams/wards when needed (i.e. midwifes and obstetric teams in the maternity ward, etc.)
Essential, diploma in surgical specialty recognized by the State.
Surgical experience as stated in surgical CV/skill form (number of independently performed surgical interventions) corresponds with the surgeries that are performed in the mission and qualification is duly certified and verified. Desirable experience with MSF or other NGO’s in developing countries.
Language Level Description
Vantage or upper intermediate
- Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialisation.
- Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
- Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
Able to provide routine data analysis
Person / material hygiene
Able to supervise use of PPE in a service or department
Understanding of bio-hazard risk (secure waste disposal)
Appropriation of MSF Infection control protocols and proceduresL3 Understanding of bio-hazard risk (secure waste disposal)
Appropriation of MSF Infection control protocols and procedures
Capacity to compensate patient disability (moving, feeding, toileting)
Able to issue accurate drug prescriptions
Able to manage ward/OT material stock (inventory, refilling)
Able to evaluate equipment status (availability, functioning)
L1 able to manage ward/OT material stock (inventory, refilling)
Able to evaluate equipment status (availability, functioning)
Knowledge of basic nutritional principles (examples)
Able to perform nutritional evaluation (screening, food security)
Able to follow a correct medical consultation process (anamnesis, clinical exams, differential diagnostic, possible additional exams, diagnosis and prescription)
Capacity to perform a diagnosis without full technical support (limited or no access to 2nd level exams)
Able to perform clinical triage and admission according to MSF criteria
Able to write a comprehensive report of activities
Able to perform basic local anesthesia
Knowledge of anesthetic drugs for local anesthesia
OT Nurse / staff
Able to ensure high technical quality standards in OT and post-op (ward round, follow-up of complex cases, etc.)
Appropriation of MSF surgical protocols and procedures
Knowledge of medical epidemiology principles (mortality, morbidity, evolution of out brakes)
Able to use rapid diagnostic tests (malaria, syphilis, hemoglobin, glucose, etc)
Capacity to provide basic periodic maintenance of biomedical device
Able to identify SGBV victims and handle post exposure prophylaxis
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates loyalty, awareness and respect for MSF’s values
- Expresses his/her interest by talking/asking/giving informed opinions about MSF’s activities.
- Expresses he/she wants to work with MSF because of its principles and mission.
- Overtly expresses his/her satisfaction at belonging to MSF and defends MSF’s social mission.
- Refers to beneficiaries* when speaking about his/her own work.
- Always transmits a positive image of MSF in front of both colleagues and external people.
- Translates the principles of MSF into actions.
Adapts behaviour to the needs of the situation
- Accepts decisions which are not completely in line with his/her personal opinions.
- Is flexible in applying and adapting procedures.
- Adapts his/her behaviour to the characteristics of the interlocutor and/or situation.
- Learns from problems and difficulties, becoming more competent at resolving similar
situations in the future.
- Looks for adaptable solutions in order to achieve objectives.
- Reassesses priorities when circumstances change, focusing on objectives.
Understands other people’ s stress
- Has an understanding attitude towards other people’s mistakes and shortcomings.
- Gives calm and polite answers and repeats them patiently if necessary.
- Uses techniques or plans activities to manage his/her own stress.
- Responds and acts constructively in conflictive situations.
Results and Quality Orientation
Works towards objectives, preserving established standards
- Perseveres until the objectives of the job and the team have been met.
- Complies with the procedures, processes and rules set by MSF.
- Is aware that the purpose of his/her job is to meet the specified objectives.
- Is autonomous.
- Mobilizes resources.
- Analyses problems and constraints.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Shares information and coordinates with team and/or others
- Shares significant information in a timely manner and actively seeks the opinion of
team members or others through empathetic communication.
- Allows others to question work/input if this leads to improvement.
- Coordinates with other team members to ensure that common objectives are achieved.
- Shows interest in and empathy with team members.