MISSION PHARMACY MANAGER
15 – 18
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Defining, coordinating and monitoring all pharmacy related activities in the Mission, according to MSF standards and values, the Medical Coordinator instructions and with consideration of national and international laws and regulations, in order to ensure the quality and proper organisation of medical supply process, procedures and protocols, the proper management of the medical stock in the projects and, in collaboration with the medical coordinator, the correct use of medicines and medical material
- Supporting the HoM and MedCo in representing and defending MSF’s interests before the Ministry of Health and other local authorities or local suppliers for any issue concerning pharmaceutical supply, in order to ensure stock procurement in the projects while complying with the national laws and regulations and following MSF protocols. Ensuring a close follow up of the National Drug Supply particularly in projects where MSF is working in conjunction with MoH. Collaborating in budgeting and preparing drug and other medical material orders together with Medical and Logistic Coordinators.
- Supervising the running of the pharmacies across the mission, ensuring the proper implementation of MSF Safety standards, incl. pharmacovigilance follow up and waste management protocols, and to national and international legislation, in order to ensure the quality of the service given to the population and the accurate handling of drugs and products, including its proper disposal, in terms of hygiene and security. In case of integration of medical stock under the supply, this includes close involvement in the medical warehouse as regards procedures, operations and stock management but not direct supervision of same. Supporting the Medical Coordinator regarding the follow-up of EPREP planning and maintenance of medical emergency kits.
- Supporting and participating in all drug and medical material supply processes and ensuring its overall efficiency and effectiveness. This involves regular technical visits to project sites to ensure appropriate follow up of activities and management of field pharmacies; collecting and analyzing stock indicators according to physical records and logistic across different projects and together with the Medical Coordinator taking corrective decisions when necessary and providing technical pharmacy support regarding pharmaceutical information, medication use (protocols and rational drug use), management of side effects, adherence issues etc.
- Ensuring the collection of data for monitoring and surveillance of optimal quantity & quality of medicine use. Supporting activities at service level for effective drug distribution and control, quality prescription (rational drug use), medicines reconciliation, antibiotic stewardship interventions such as restricted use antibiotic review, follow up of pharmaceutical care plans, patient counseling, good dispensing practices and safe medication practices.
- Monitoring the procurement process and taking corrective measures when needed, ensuring regular communication with Medical, Logistics, HR and Finance departments regarding Medical Supply and Pharmacy Management. Supporting the Medical Coordinator in order to ensure local medical purchases are made from approved sources, subject to approval of Section Pharmacist
- Being responsible for the good maintenance of all drugs and equipment in the pharmacies and the appropriate storage and management of supply of narcotic and psychotropic medication with respect to national legislation, permitting traceability for these specific products.
- Facilitating correct stock management and transport/storage procedures, in order to ensure the availability of stock in all projects and to avoid expiries/overstocks and stock-outs. Ensuring that all inventories of drugs and medical devices exist and are updated. In close collaboration with Logistics Department, supervising storage conditions (e.g. humidity, temperature, light exposure, cleanliness, pest and rodents control, stock security, maintenance of cold chain, etc.), classification, organization and inventory, in order to guarantee the quality of the medicines and other medical material and prevent damage, financial losses generated by expired items, deterioration and robbery. Being responsible for follow-up of loans/donations and management of expired medications according to MSF procedures (and national legislation in case of expired drugs)
- Planning and supervising, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required. In case of integration of medical stock under the supply, this includes providing support to Supply Log in this capacity to ensure the medical stock and pharmacy management according to recommended guide lines/procedures
- Participating in reporting according to MSF guidelines (SitReps, medical statistical reports, etc.) and reporting on drug consumption and medical devices dispensed according to protocols, informing on unusual patterns
Essential: pharmacy degree (or equivalent 4-5 years diploma according to the country of origin of the pharmacist)
Essential demonstrated two years’ experience in (hospital) pharmacy management, previous experience with MSF or other NGO’s in developing countries is desirable
Language Level Description
Vantage or upper intermediate
- Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialisation.
- Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
- Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
Able to analyze complex and heterogeneous data
Able to ensure data quality controlL3 Able to analyze complex and heterogeneous data
Able to ensure data quality control
Person / material hygiene
Capacity to ensure adequate use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Knowledge and respect of universal standard precautions
Knowledge and respect of disinfection material guidelinesL1 Knowledge and respect of universal standard precautions
Knowledge and respect of disinfection material guidelines
Familiar with MSF medical catalogue (families: drugs, infusions, material, consumables, etc.)
Capacity to manage a country/central medical stock
Able to use rapid diagnostic tests (malaria, syphilis, hemoglobin, glucose, etc)
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates loyalty, awareness and respect for MSF’s values
- Expresses his/her interest by talking/asking/giving informed opinions about MSF’s activities.
- Expresses he/she wants to work with MSF because of its principles and mission.
- Overtly expresses his/her satisfaction at belonging to MSF and defends MSF’s social mission.
- Refers to beneficiaries* when speaking about his/her own work.
- Always transmits a positive image of MSF in front of both colleagues and external people.
- Translates the principles of MSF into actions.
Facilitates and helps to bring about changes in others
- Sets up mechanisms that can minimise the impact of an “expected change” on others,
for instance, a good briefing.
- Communicates and provides information even when he/she is not the team leader.
Results and Quality Orientation
Improves performance and sets ambitious and realistic goals
- Strives to continually improve work methods.
- Suggests news ways of increasing efficiency in his/her field of action.
- Demonstrates a continuous learning attitude.
- Sets as an objective the improvement of the process.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Encourages, engages and motivates people to work as a team
- Shows he/she values the experience and input of other team members through
- Makes decisions taking into account how they affect the team.
- Actively seeks input from team members to define how they will work together.
- Makes sure the common objective is known and supported by all the team.
- Works to achieve cohesion and a spirit of cooperation in the team.
- Involves the team in the decision-making process that may affect all its members.
People Management and Development
Gives feedback and sets limits
- Informs and gives feedback about results achieved by the team.
- Individually rectifies ineffective behaviour through constructive feedback.
- Acknowledges the positive performance of his/her collaborators, using suitable
techniques for the follow-up appraisal.
- Manages any discrepancies between team members’ expectations and the reality of
- Is approachable and makes time for all team members.