PROJECT PHARMACY MANAGER
15 – 18
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Project Coordinator / Mission Pharmacy Manager
Reports to (Functional)
Project Medical Referent (if any)/ Medical coordinator/ Mission Pharmacy Manager
Defining, coordinating and monitoring all pharmacy related activities in the project area including management of staff, according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures and the mission’s pharmacist and Medical Coordinator’s guidelines, in order to ensure the proper management and supply of drugs and medical devices
- Participating actively in the definition and update of the annual planning and budgets of the pharmacy activities in the project.
- Supervising the functioning and organization of the project central pharmacy and other peripheral units, setting the protocols and procedures to be followed by all staff in order to ensure the quality of the service provided to the population, including pharmaco vigilance in case of need.
- Defining storage, stock management and supply processes, as well as hygiene and security procedures, tools, and protocols (controlling pests and rodents) in order to ensure good storage conditions (temperatures, humidity and light exposure) and the accurate handling of the products and equipment in terms of hygiene and that all hygiene and security procedures are followed in project pharmacies (cleaning, controlling pests and rodents, etc.)
- Giving support in the ordering and supply process of medicines and medical devices. Monitoring correct stock management across pharmacies within project area, to guarantee a good control and up to date data of stock levels and avoid expiries, overstocks and stock outs. Reporting on drug consumptions and medical devices dispensed according to protocols, informing on unusual patterns.
- Ensuring, in cooperation with the project logistic manager, proper maintenance of cold chain and storage conditions (e.g. humidity, temperature, light exposure, cleanliness, pest and rodents control, etc.), and that classification and organization of medicines and medical material meet MSF protocols.
- Ensuring the collection of data for monitoring and surveillance of optimal quantity & quality of medicine use. Supporting activities at service level for effective drug distribution and control, quality prescription (analyzing rational drug use), medicines reconciliation, antibiotic stewardship interventions such as restricted use antibiotic review, follow up of pharmaceutical care plans, patient counseling, good dispensing practices and safe medication practices.
- Supervising, coaching, motivating and evaluating all the pharmacy staff under his/her responsibility, in order to ensure the strict respect for working procedures and protocols. Ensuring that all pharmacy staff uses required clothes and equipment according to protocols, i.e. white coat, gloves, etc.
- To define, if needed, training opportunities for the medical staff.
- Carrying out all the reporting tasks associated to his/her field of action and responsibility, ensuring its consistency and accuracy, in order to support in the relevant decision-making and participating in monthly reports according to guidelines (SitReps, medical statistical reports, etc.)
- Planning and supervising, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required.
- Essential: pharmacy degree (or equivalent 4-5 years diploma according to the country of origin of the pharmacist)
- Two years, of demonstrated, experience as a pharmacist required.
- Experience in MSF or other NGO’s in developing countries is desirable
Language Level Description
Vantage or upper intermediate
- Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialisation.
- Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
- Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
Able to analyze complex and heterogeneous data
Able to ensure data quality controlL3 Able to analyze complex and heterogeneous data
Able to ensure data quality control
Person / material hygiene
Capacity to ensure adequate use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Knowledge and respect of universal standard precautions
Knowledge and respect of disinfection material guidelinesL1 Knowledge and respect of universal standard precautions
Knowledge and respect of disinfection material guidelines
Familiar with MSF medical catalogue (families: drugs, infusions, material, consumables, etc.)
Knowledge of stock management principles ( stock out risk, calculation of stock level, alarm follow-up)
Able to use MSF supply software at project level
Familiar with cold chain principlesL2 Knowledge of stock management principles ( stock out risk, calculation of stock level, alarm follow-up)
Able to use MSF supply software at project level
Familiar with cold chain principles
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates loyalty, awareness and respect for MSF’s values
- Expresses his/her interest by talking/asking/giving informed opinions about MSF’s activities.
- Expresses he/she wants to work with MSF because of its principles and mission.
- Overtly expresses his/her satisfaction at belonging to MSF and defends MSF’s social mission.
- Refers to beneficiaries* when speaking about his/her own work.
- Always transmits a positive image of MSF in front of both colleagues and external people.
- Translates the principles of MSF into actions.
Facilitates and helps to bring about changes in others
- Sets up mechanisms that can minimise the impact of an “expected change” on others,
for instance, a good briefing.
- Communicates and provides information even when he/she is not the team leader.
Results and Quality Orientation
Improves performance and sets ambitious and realistic goals
- Strives to continually improve work methods.
- Suggests news ways of increasing efficiency in his/her field of action.
- Demonstrates a continuous learning attitude.
- Sets as an objective the improvement of the process.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Encourages, engages and motivates people to work as a team
- Shows he/she values the experience and input of other team members through
- Makes decisions taking into account how they affect the team.
- Actively seeks input from team members to define how they will work together.
- Makes sure the common objective is known and supported by all the team.
- Works to achieve cohesion and a spirit of cooperation in the team.
- Involves the team in the decision-making process that may affect all its members.
People Management and Development
Gives feedback and sets limits
- Informs and gives feedback about results achieved by the team.
- Individually rectifies ineffective behaviour through constructive feedback.
- Acknowledges the positive performance of his/her collaborators, using suitable
techniques for the follow-up appraisal.
- Manages any discrepancies between team members’ expectations and the reality of
- Is approachable and makes time for all team members.