MEDICAL HEAD COOK
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Logistics Manager / Activity Manager
Reports to (Functional)
Activity Manager/Project Medical Referent
Logistics / Medical and Paramedical
Supervising, training and guiding cooks ensuring the preparation of nutritious and balanced meals for staff or patients; ensuring raw materials availability as well as observation of hygiene standards and security rules. This will be done according to local context and to the location of the position (i.e. Health Facility, Nutrition Intervention, Domestic, etc.)
- Knowing, applying and ensuring respect of universal hygiene standards and security rules for meals preparation.
- Determining food quantities to prepare, assuring the needed items are available and checking the quality of the food. This will be done in close collaboration with the logistics, medical or administration department, depending on the location of the position (i.e. Health Facility, Nutrition Intervention, Domestic, etc.)
- Supervising and participating in the preparation of meals for staff or patients. Ensuring the meals are served on time.
- Supervising integrity of equipment (kitchen utensils), infrastructures and hygiene conditions in the kitchen, including quality of water (i.e. filtered, boiled, etc.)
- Ensuring daily management of cooks (working time, shifts, absences, leaves, etc.), supervising and evaluating the quality of their work, and ensuring training if needed.
- Looking after and being responsible for all equipment provided.
- Reporting any relevant information to the line manager.
Prior experience as a cook. Desirable experience as a team supervisor
Language Level Description
Threshold or intermediate
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
Person / material hygiene
Capacity to ensure adequate use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Knowledge and respect of universal standard precautions
Knowledge and respect of disinfection material guidelinesL1 Knowledge and respect of universal standard precautions
Knowledge and respect of disinfection material guidelines
Capable to implement basic food hygiene principles (cleaning, storage)
Understand principle of food transformation( process, transformation, storage)L1 Capable to implement basic food hygiene principles (cleaning, storage)
Understand principle of food transformation( process, transformation, storage)
Able to perform basic counseling and/or educational sessions under supervision
Able to identify cases presenting psycho-social problems
Understand of therapeutic feeding principles
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates knowledge of and accepts MSF’s principles
- Respects the choices made by the organisation.
- Has basic knowledge of MSF’s mission and main activities.
- Respects and accepts the medical ethics and principles of MSF.
- Knows the difference between MSF’s activities and those of other NGOs and actors.
- Accepts changes without knowing the full reasons for them.
- Accepts new ideas in a positive way.
- Positively accepts changes in his/her environment.
- Accepts arguments opposed to his/her own.
- Is willing to listen and to take on new tasks in his/her job.
Manages own stress
- Expresses awareness of his/her own stress level.
- Is able to identify causes of his/her own stress and/or asks for help in detecting them.
- Is able to express to others his/her personal stressors at an appropriate time without
Results and Quality Orientation
Performs his/her work
- Knows objectives of the job.
- Defines tasks to achieve objectives and establishes a working plan.
- Reviews and checks his/her work to detect mistakes and to correct them immediately.
- Values high-quality work.
Knows and understands clients’ needs and interests
- Identifies and has a clear understanding of who the client to be served is.
- Identifies clients’ needs and concerns, and provides them with useful information and
- Listens to clients and asks them questions to determine their needs and motivations.
- Gets to know how the rest of the team works.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Acknowledges the importance of teamwork and cooperation
- Is responsible for his/her work because he/she knows the repercussions it has on the
team or on others.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with colleagues, is accessible
and listens to others.
- Cooperates with the team and supports decisions made.
- Demonstrates a predisposition to work with others and gives help when asked.
- Acknowledges there are common goals as well as individual objectives deriving from
the personal plan of action.