15 – 18
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Defining the operational strategy for the base in collaboration with the HOM/ Operational Cell. Being responsible for MSF’s operational activities in the support base. Coordinating the program activities of the support base while ensuring compliance to MSF’s charter, ethical standards and policies in order to realize efficient management of activities and reach program objectives.
- Representing MSF and defending its interests before local authorities, local NGO’s, donors and me-dia to realize an active positioning and a positive public image.
- Being accountable for and supervising the execution of all program activities. Ensuring that MSFs technical and ethical standards are followed and objectives are achieved. Coordinating activities with other MSF sections/projects in the region.
- Being accountable for the proper planning, sizing, and coordination of all financial resources needed in the support base. Agreeing on the annual budget and being reponsible for the financial administration of the base .
- Leading the support base team under his/her supervision. Being responsible for the proper application of HR policies and associated processes in the support base (recruitment, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, staff learning and development and internal communication) in order to ensure both the sizing of the project team and the amount of knowledge required for the activities. Briefing the teams on context related issues maximizing their commitment to MSF values and project’s goals.
- Supervising the project material resources put at MSF’s disposition in order to ensure a correct use and its longevity. Supervising all orders and the Project’s purchases as well as the financial indicators, with the support of the capital referents, in order to ensure efficiency and early detect deviations and its causes.
- Ensuring data collection. Evaluating programme performance and providing all the required operational reports to HOM/ HQ in line with Mission/HQ reporting cycle
Keeping staff and HOM/HQ informed and updated of context related issues.
- Defining and regularly updating, in close collaboration with the Head of Mission/ HQ, the project’s security policy and strategic response to emergencies, reporting any concerning issue, in order to improve risk working conditions and to ensure staff’s full adherence to security rules and protocols. Managing the security in the project, ensuring that all necessary security measures are in place for the safety of MSF staff and its operations.
- University degree desirable
- Degree in Project Management or HR Management desirable
- Essential previous experience of at least two years required in the field of humanitarian aid with MSF or other NGOs.
- Essential working experience in developing countries
Language Level Description
Effective Operational Proficiency or advanced
- Can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning.
- Can express ideas fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions.
- Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes.
- Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
This job doesn't have technical skills.
Has an overview and links current actions with organisational objectives
- Contributes towards the global vision.
- Relates the objectives of his/her project to MSF’s objectives.
- Is able to distinguish between working activities that give value to MSF’s objectives
and those that do not.
- Sets and maintains an order of priorities in his/her work according to MSF’s strategic
Planning and Organising
Follows up, plans activities and sets priorities
- Plans actions to be carried out with a medium-term perspective, taking other team
members into consideration.
- Organises his/her own work according to the constraints of the team.
- Utilises existing tools that are proved to be efficient before coming up with his/her
- Works to define timeframes and tasks in groups.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Builds team spirit within the organisation
- Fosters and encourages collaboration between members of different teams, services
and departments, even in difficult situations.
- Explains to others (in meetings, speeches, etc.) the importance of working in teams.
- Acts by example.
Uses actions and indirect influences to persuade
- Gives solid and coherent arguments to support his/her points to the interlocutor,
stressing the key information.
- Uses different communication tools and means (internal and external resources) to get
the message across.
- Selects communication strategies to have a persuasive impact on the interlocutor.
- Seeks backup from experts and third parties to strengthen his/her point of view.
- Manages his/her emotions.
People Management and Development
Works on the growth and development of team members
- Offers each team member an equal opportunity to succeed.
- Publicly acknowledges good performance and positively reinforces it.
- Considers the personal development of each team member and proposes an individual