PROTOCOL OFFICE MANAGER
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Reports to (Functional)
Intersectional Legal Department (ILD) SHIELD Focal Point
Ensures the smooth functioning of the Intersectional Protocol Office, for the effective and coordinated implementation of the Host Country Agreement (HCA) by all MSF operational sections present in the country. This is achieved through providing internal support to MSF coordination teams in implementing relevant HCA procedures and processing benefits derived, and engaging with external stakeholders including technical and mid-levels of the Government’s administration
- Initiating and following up administrative procedures for implementation of HCA benefits, including for immigration of MSF international staff, tax exemptions, importation procedures, among others
- Drafting and implementing a stakeholder engagement / networking strategy, to secure effective ongoing support in implementing the HCA from government and other relevant external actors
- Undertaking basic negotiations with government representatives at technical and mid-level as may be required to facilitate smooth implementation of HCA benefits
- Working closely with MSF Coordination teams to support day-to-day implementation of relevant HCA procedures, including providing technical advice and ensuring a coordinated approach across all MSF sections
- Developing strategy, working closely with the ILD SHIELD focal point, to overcome specific challenges in HCA implementation
- Regularly updating the Protocol Office tools and provide training to MSF collaborators
- Preparing quarterly reports to be diffused internally, documenting the regular activities of the PO and providing context analysis
- Supervising a liaison officer in the processing of HCA files (if relevant)
- Bachelor or master degree in public administration, or a related field
- 4 years relevant experience in administrative work
Language Level Description
Vantage or upper intermediate
- Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialisation.
- Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
- Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
This job doesn't have technical skills.
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates loyalty, awareness and respect for MSF’s values
- Expresses his/her interest by talking/asking/giving informed opinions about MSF’s activities.
- Expresses he/she wants to work with MSF because of its principles and mission.
- Overtly expresses his/her satisfaction at belonging to MSF and defends MSF’s social mission.
- Refers to beneficiaries* when speaking about his/her own work.
- Always transmits a positive image of MSF in front of both colleagues and external people.
- Translates the principles of MSF into actions.
Adapts behaviour to the needs of the situation
- Accepts decisions which are not completely in line with his/her personal opinions.
- Is flexible in applying and adapting procedures.
- Adapts his/her behaviour to the characteristics of the interlocutor and/or situation.
- Learns from problems and difficulties, becoming more competent at resolving similar
situations in the future.
- Looks for adaptable solutions in order to achieve objectives.
- Reassesses priorities when circumstances change, focusing on objectives.
Results and Quality Orientation
Improves performance and sets ambitious and realistic goals
- Strives to continually improve work methods.
- Suggests news ways of increasing efficiency in his/her field of action.
- Demonstrates a continuous learning attitude.
- Sets as an objective the improvement of the process.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Encourages, engages and motivates people to work as a team
- Shows he/she values the experience and input of other team members through
- Makes decisions taking into account how they affect the team.
- Actively seeks input from team members to define how they will work together.
- Makes sure the common objective is known and supported by all the team.
- Works to achieve cohesion and a spirit of cooperation in the team.
- Involves the team in the decision-making process that may affect all its members.
People Management and Development
Gives feedback and sets limits
- Informs and gives feedback about results achieved by the team.
- Individually rectifies ineffective behaviour through constructive feedback.
- Acknowledges the positive performance of his/her collaborators, using suitable
techniques for the follow-up appraisal.
- Manages any discrepancies between team members’ expectations and the reality of
- Is approachable and makes time for all team members.