Reports to (Hierarchical)
Being responsible for looking after the welfare of the infant/child, according to MSF hygiene standards and security rules, strictly observing the daily regimen specified by parents in written or oral instructions
- Taking care of the infant/child during the day and carrying out tasks specified by the parents, following at all times all hygiene standards and security rules. When requested, preparing food and planning their daily activities
- Taking all possible measures to prevent accidents in home/external activity locations. Immediately informing the parents in case of accidents (injuries, falling, intoxication, etc.) and immediately providing the first aid and calling the medical doctor if required. Checking the health of the child (fever, insect bites, injuries, etc.) when called for
- Practicing self-education, learning child development methods and practicing developing games with infants/children based on their age.
- Looking after the cleanliness of the infant/child, including clothes and shoes as well the cleanliness of the room, domestic appliances, toys and other items surrounding the infant/child. When required, ironing child/children’s clothes
- Dressing the infant/child appropriately and taking care of the toilet needs of the child. When applicable, changing diapers regularly and giving a bath during the day and when requested, during the evening
- Using the home and kitchen appliances accurately and carefully to prepare proper meals for the infant/child
- Note: The infant/child should never be left alone including while in the bath. When staying at home while parents are out, child minder should not open the door to unauthorized people
- Pedagogical education, nursing education an asset
- Experience in working with children in child care facilities or in families
Language Level Description
Waystage or elementary
- Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment).
- Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
- Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
This job doesn't have technical skills.
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates knowledge of and accepts MSF’s principles
- Respects the choices made by the organisation.
- Has basic knowledge of MSF’s mission and main activities.
- Respects and accepts the medical ethics and principles of MSF.
- Knows the difference between MSF’s activities and those of other NGOs and actors.
- Accepts changes without knowing the full reasons for them.
- Accepts new ideas in a positive way.
- Positively accepts changes in his/her environment.
- Accepts arguments opposed to his/her own.
- Is willing to listen and to take on new tasks in his/her job.
Restrains emotional reactions and responds calmly
- Is able to continue working or speaking without being provoked to anger.
- Walks away from a stressful situation in order to control his/her own emotions.
- Carries on talking or working calmly in extremely frustrating or stressful situations.
Results and Quality Orientation
Performs his/her work
- Knows objectives of the job.
- Defines tasks to achieve objectives and establishes a working plan.
- Reviews and checks his/her work to detect mistakes and to correct them immediately.
- Values high-quality work.
Knows and understands clients’ needs and interests
- Identifies and has a clear understanding of who the client to be served is.
- Identifies clients’ needs and concerns, and provides them with useful information and
- Listens to clients and asks them questions to determine their needs and motivations.
- Gets to know how the rest of the team works.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Acknowledges the importance of teamwork and cooperation
- Is responsible for his/her work because he/she knows the repercussions it has on the
team or on others.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with colleagues, is accessible
and listens to others.
- Cooperates with the team and supports decisions made.
- Demonstrates a predisposition to work with others and gives help when asked.
- Acknowledges there are common goals as well as individual objectives deriving from
the personal plan of action.