HEAD OF CLEANERS
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Planning and supervising the housekeeping, cleaning and tidying up activities, performing hands on tasks as part of the team and maintaining the tools and materials involved in the work, according to MSF protocols hygienic standards and procedures, in order to ensure public and staff private living and working areas are in good condition
- Dividing up the teams in accordance with the needs and adapting the number of workers per team according to the activities,
- Supervising the cleaners, filling in and following up their work planning
- Overseeing the following activities:
- Cleaning of bedrooms, bathrooms, toilets and other rooms in MSF houses
- Execution of laundry, ironing and other housekeeping activities
- Provision of support to the cook (washing up, cleaning the kitchen, etc.) and preparing hot water for tea/coffee and refilling drinking water for the office
- Checking that toilets are well stocked with necessary items and that water supply is suffiecient during water cuts
- MSF premises being properly locked (doors, windows)
- Looking after tools and materials, carrying out periodic inventories with the cleaners and ensuring the renewal of tools and/or restocking of materials
- Performing hands on tasks as part of the team
previous experience required
Language Level Description
Waystage or elementary
- Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment).
- Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
- Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
This job doesn't have technical skills.
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates knowledge of and accepts MSF’s principles
- Respects the choices made by the organisation.
- Has basic knowledge of MSF’s mission and main activities.
- Respects and accepts the medical ethics and principles of MSF.
- Knows the difference between MSF’s activities and those of other NGOs and actors.
- Accepts changes without knowing the full reasons for them.
- Accepts new ideas in a positive way.
- Positively accepts changes in his/her environment.
- Accepts arguments opposed to his/her own.
- Is willing to listen and to take on new tasks in his/her job.
Restrains emotional reactions and responds calmly
- Is able to continue working or speaking without being provoked to anger.
- Walks away from a stressful situation in order to control his/her own emotions.
- Carries on talking or working calmly in extremely frustrating or stressful situations.
Results and Quality Orientation
Performs his/her work
- Knows objectives of the job.
- Defines tasks to achieve objectives and establishes a working plan.
- Reviews and checks his/her work to detect mistakes and to correct them immediately.
- Values high-quality work.
Knows and understands clients’ needs and interests
- Identifies and has a clear understanding of who the client to be served is.
- Identifies clients’ needs and concerns, and provides them with useful information and
- Listens to clients and asks them questions to determine their needs and motivations.
- Gets to know how the rest of the team works.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Acknowledges the importance of teamwork and cooperation
- Is responsible for his/her work because he/she knows the repercussions it has on the
team or on others.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with colleagues, is accessible
and listens to others.
- Cooperates with the team and supports decisions made.
- Demonstrates a predisposition to work with others and gives help when asked.
- Acknowledges there are common goals as well as individual objectives deriving from
the personal plan of action.