Reports to (Hierarchical)
Medical Manager, Logistics manager or HR Manager
Reports to (Functional)
Medical Manager, Logistics manager or HR Manager
Performing professional translation activities and delegated duties depending on supervisor’s specialization and instructions and according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures, in order to ensure a proper representation and translation of MSF activities and core values.
- Performing professional written and oral interpretation and translation activities according to supervisor’s specialisation (e.g. MD, RN, IC, Pharmacy, Mental Health, Lab, Logistics, Operations, HR), ensuring medical confidentiality, neutralitiy and respect towards patients, collaborators, authorities, military factions and MSF staff.
- Performing administrative tasks required by supervisor (arrangement of meetings, minute taking, and follow-up for patient care). Providing necessary feedback to supervisor following discussions and negotiations and. Assisting with report writing (MSF and Government required reports), ensuring that all meeting minutes are recorded and that translated documents are properly filed
- Depending on the supervisor’s specialisation and the needs of the respective department, establishing and maintaining professional contacts with relevant authorities and communicating MSF’s messages to MoH counterparts and authorities (specifically related to patient care);
- Ensuring that supervisor is aware of cultural nuances when dealing with MoH authorities and counterparts to ensure a good working relationship. Educating supervisor on effective methods of culturally sensitive communication and informing international staff about local customs, tradition, etc. that will help in better communication and understanding of the context.
- Immediately informing supervisor of any problems that might be linked to individual behaviour (counterproductive and/or culturally insensitivity) and declaring any “conflict of interest” when asked to translate (e.g. personal involvement).
- Upholding MSF’s core principles, values, quality standards and Code of Conduct. Respecting MSF’s identification materials and not abusing their use aside from their intended purposes.
- Observing security rules and regulations, NOT putting self and others in danger. Promoting and maintaining MSF quality standards
- Higher education ( health degree would be an asset)
- Professional training in translating
- Essential at least two years previous working experience. Desirable in MSF or other NGOs
- Experience in written and oral translations and performing administrative tasks
Language Level Description
Threshold or intermediate
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
This job doesn't have technical skills.
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates knowledge of and accepts MSF’s principles
- Respects the choices made by the organisation.
- Has basic knowledge of MSF’s mission and main activities.
- Respects and accepts the medical ethics and principles of MSF.
- Knows the difference between MSF’s activities and those of other NGOs and actors.
Demonstrates an open attitude
- Considers cultural differences.
- Views multicultural environments positively and expresses satisfaction at working in them.
- Is open and eager to learn about his/her environment and the people he/she works with.
Is able to recognise and respect cultural differences.
- Is able to recognise cultural norms.
- Accepts changes without knowing the full reasons for them.
- Accepts new ideas in a positive way.
- Positively accepts changes in his/her environment.
- Accepts arguments opposed to his/her own.
- Is willing to listen and to take on new tasks in his/her job.
Results and Quality Orientation
Performs his/her work
- Knows objectives of the job.
- Defines tasks to achieve objectives and establishes a working plan.
- Reviews and checks his/her work to detect mistakes and to correct them immediately.
- Values high-quality work.
Knows and understands clients’ needs and interests
- Identifies and has a clear understanding of who the client to be served is.
- Identifies clients’ needs and concerns, and provides them with useful information and
- Listens to clients and asks them questions to determine their needs and motivations.
- Gets to know how the rest of the team works.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Acknowledges the importance of teamwork and cooperation
- Is responsible for his/her work because he/she knows the repercussions it has on the
team or on others.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with colleagues, is accessible
and listens to others.
- Cooperates with the team and supports decisions made.
- Demonstrates a predisposition to work with others and gives help when asked.
- Acknowledges there are common goals as well as individual objectives deriving from
the personal plan of action.