Reports to (Hierarchical)
Perform repair / maintenance / construction works, according to the supervisor’s instructions and MSF standards, in order to ensure proper operations and prevent faults / deterioration of MSF equipment / installations / infrastructures.
- Carry out all minor works (construction, repairs, etc.) requested by the line manager, as well as any task identified by the employee and approved by the line manager.
- Perform regular maintenance of MSF installations / equipment / infrastructures (base, house, store, warehouse, health centre, hospital, etc.), particularly in line with a preventive maintenance plan (procedures to follow, schedule, etc.).
- In the event of faults / deterioration, diagnose the problem and propose possible solutions to the line manager and/or technical adviser.
- Perform any necessary tests / checks to confirm the proper operation of the installation or equipment after repair.
- Ensure effective management, protection and care of work tools (including site installations under the employee’s supervision) and keep the workshop tidy.
- Ensure that there are adequate stocks of consumables and materials for minor repairs and manage those stocks; placing orders in time.
- Keep all documents related to installations / equipment / infrastructures in order and update them regularly.
- Immediately inform the line manager of any problems that arise in the course of the work, particularly with regard to damage, loss, theft or attempted break-ins.
- Assist logistics department for any related work needed.
Previous experience desirable
Language Level Description
Waystage or elementary
- Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment).
- Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
- Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
This job doesn't have technical skills.
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates knowledge of and accepts MSF’s principles
- Respects the choices made by the organisation.
- Has basic knowledge of MSF’s mission and main activities.
- Respects and accepts the medical ethics and principles of MSF.
- Knows the difference between MSF’s activities and those of other NGOs and actors.
- Accepts changes without knowing the full reasons for them.
- Accepts new ideas in a positive way.
- Positively accepts changes in his/her environment.
- Accepts arguments opposed to his/her own.
- Is willing to listen and to take on new tasks in his/her job.
Restrains emotional reactions and responds calmly
- Is able to continue working or speaking without being provoked to anger.
- Walks away from a stressful situation in order to control his/her own emotions.
- Carries on talking or working calmly in extremely frustrating or stressful situations.
Results and Quality Orientation
Performs his/her work
- Knows objectives of the job.
- Defines tasks to achieve objectives and establishes a working plan.
- Reviews and checks his/her work to detect mistakes and to correct them immediately.
- Values high-quality work.
Knows and understands clients’ needs and interests
- Identifies and has a clear understanding of who the client to be served is.
- Identifies clients’ needs and concerns, and provides them with useful information and
- Listens to clients and asks them questions to determine their needs and motivations.
- Gets to know how the rest of the team works.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Acknowledges the importance of teamwork and cooperation
- Is responsible for his/her work because he/she knows the repercussions it has on the
team or on others.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with colleagues, is accessible
and listens to others.
- Cooperates with the team and supports decisions made.
- Demonstrates a predisposition to work with others and gives help when asked.
- Acknowledges there are common goals as well as individual objectives deriving from
the personal plan of action.