Reports to (Hierarchical)
Carrying out basic technical and logistics work that does not require any special qualifications according to MSF procedures and following the line manager's instructions in order to contribute to the construction, smooth functioning, cleanliness and repairs within MSF premises.
- Performing work in support of skilled workers in the maintenance of MSF premises, facilities and equipment in the areas of carpentry, plumbing, building structures, gardening, etc. This can include but are not limited to the following:
- Loading and unloading vehicles
- Assisting MSF staff carrying items if necessary
- Ensuring there is enough water and reporting their scarcity (this does not apply for daily labourer.)
- Performing simple earthwork for fixing roads and drains
- Making minor repairs, maintenance and construction works e.g. changes light bulbs, repairs locks, fix fences, painted surfaces
- Doing the gardening in order to maintain clean and organized all areas in the MSF premises
- Ensuring cleanliness of working, common areas and the proper use, storage and maintenance of the equipment and tools provided.
- Informing superiors of any incident that may occur in the course of his/her work.
- Ensuring the proper use of extinguishers.(not standard for a daily labourer)
- Performing tasks delegated to him/her as specified in his/her job description
Language Level Description
Waystage or elementary
- Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment).
- Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
- Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
This job doesn't have technical skills.
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates knowledge of and accepts MSF’s principles
- Respects the choices made by the organisation.
- Has basic knowledge of MSF’s mission and main activities.
- Respects and accepts the medical ethics and principles of MSF.
- Knows the difference between MSF’s activities and those of other NGOs and actors.
- Accepts changes without knowing the full reasons for them.
- Accepts new ideas in a positive way.
- Positively accepts changes in his/her environment.
- Accepts arguments opposed to his/her own.
- Is willing to listen and to take on new tasks in his/her job.
Restrains emotional reactions and responds calmly
- Is able to continue working or speaking without being provoked to anger.
- Walks away from a stressful situation in order to control his/her own emotions.
- Carries on talking or working calmly in extremely frustrating or stressful situations.
Results and Quality Orientation
Performs his/her work
- Knows objectives of the job.
- Defines tasks to achieve objectives and establishes a working plan.
- Reviews and checks his/her work to detect mistakes and to correct them immediately.
- Values high-quality work.
Knows and understands clients’ needs and interests
- Identifies and has a clear understanding of who the client to be served is.
- Identifies clients’ needs and concerns, and provides them with useful information and
- Listens to clients and asks them questions to determine their needs and motivations.
- Gets to know how the rest of the team works.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Acknowledges the importance of teamwork and cooperation
- Is responsible for his/her work because he/she knows the repercussions it has on the
team or on others.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with colleagues, is accessible
and listens to others.
- Cooperates with the team and supports decisions made.
- Demonstrates a predisposition to work with others and gives help when asked.
- Acknowledges there are common goals as well as individual objectives deriving from
the personal plan of action.