Reports to (Hierarchical)
Logistics Manager / Head of Radio Operators
Reports to (Functional)
Logistics Manager / Head of Radio Operators
Operating the VHF and HF radios, in accordance with the MSF security protocols and rules, in order to ensure quality and confidential radio communications for the operational needs of the mission/projects.
- Operating the HF and VHF radios, avoiding using any sensitive or security related information and following the MSF security rules. Ensures radio frequencies' (HF and VHF) quality and transmission capacity. Installs and programs frequencies in all type of radios when necessary
- Ensuring that messages are well copied/passed to all people concerned and records the messages on the radio log book. Responding to radio contacts from other approved organizations and forwarding it on the information via this channel.
- Making radio contacts with reference bases (capital and/or field) according to communication rules / schedules and forwards all information concerning the security of the teams to the Project/Capital Coordinator.
- Monitoring and registering any movement, of people, vehicles, helicopters, airplanes and cargo, (departure, arrival, number of passengers, route taken, standard contact points) and informs line manager of any delays.
- Supervising and monitoring the VHF radio allocation book (handsets) and registering the loan of handsets to all staff, following it up on a regular basis.
- Installing, operating and performing preventive maintenance checks on assigned equipment, checking that the equipment is working properly and immediately informing the line manager of any damage/loss/theft. Maintaining the equipment, communications room and premises in clean and tidy conditions. Maintaining and supervising HF VHF batteries status in good maintenance conditions.
- Providing basic radio training when necessary to MSF staff
Literacy. Desirable secondary education
Desirable work experience as radio operator in related jobs
Language Level Description
Threshold or intermediate
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
Able to recognise the 3 priorities (safety, protection, continuity of service).
Able to follow a logic procedure in order to detect simple electricity problems
Able to apply the basic laws of electricity (volt, ampere, watt, AC/DC).
Able to produce basic facilities based on MSF standard kits (lighting kit, small generator, charger/inverter)
Able to install radio equipment (+ independent programming of frequencies and energy).
Able to install the standard means of satellite communications (except for V‐sat) and set up standard data transmission.
Able to diagnose a simple malfunction
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates knowledge of and accepts MSF’s principles
- Respects the choices made by the organisation.
- Has basic knowledge of MSF’s mission and main activities.
- Respects and accepts the medical ethics and principles of MSF.
- Knows the difference between MSF’s activities and those of other NGOs and actors.
- Accepts changes without knowing the full reasons for them.
- Accepts new ideas in a positive way.
- Positively accepts changes in his/her environment.
- Accepts arguments opposed to his/her own.
- Is willing to listen and to take on new tasks in his/her job.
Manages own stress
- Expresses awareness of his/her own stress level.
- Is able to identify causes of his/her own stress and/or asks for help in detecting them.
- Is able to express to others his/her personal stressors at an appropriate time without
Results and Quality Orientation
Performs his/her work
- Knows objectives of the job.
- Defines tasks to achieve objectives and establishes a working plan.
- Reviews and checks his/her work to detect mistakes and to correct them immediately.
- Values high-quality work.
Knows and understands clients’ needs and interests
- Identifies and has a clear understanding of who the client to be served is.
- Identifies clients’ needs and concerns, and provides them with useful information and
- Listens to clients and asks them questions to determine their needs and motivations.
- Gets to know how the rest of the team works.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Acknowledges the importance of teamwork and cooperation
- Is responsible for his/her work because he/she knows the repercussions it has on the
team or on others.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with colleagues, is accessible
and listens to others.
- Cooperates with the team and supports decisions made.
- Demonstrates a predisposition to work with others and gives help when asked.
- Acknowledges there are common goals as well as individual objectives deriving from
the personal plan of action.