HEAD OF SKILLED LABOURERS
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Logistics Supervisor / Manager
Reports to (Functional)
Logistics Supervisor / Manager
Supervising a group of skilled workers, ensuring proper planning and administrative follow up, monitoring the quality of the work and performing hands on tasks as part of the team, according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to ensure smooth functioning of the mission.
- Supervising the team under his/her responsibility, passing on management directives, adapting the number of workers per team according to the work and needs. If relevant and with approval of the line manager, recruiting daily workers according to the needs. Managing daily workers, applying same criteria as managing unskilled workers
- Monitoring the quality of work of his team, checking that the instructions guidelines to be used by the workers are systematically followed and applied and that the tasks are completed in a given period of time. Asking the work to be redone and giving a helping hand, if necessary
- Responsible for the planning and administrative follow up, filling in and following the schedules according to activities and needs and the daily worker forms and handing them over to the line manager. Paying daily worker teams, depending on the circumstances and informing the line manager of any HR problems
- Responsible for the tools and equipment placed at his disposal, carrying out its monthly inventory with the workers and ensuring its replacement when needed
- Reporting to the Logistics Manager about the progress of the work and eventual incidents
- Performing hands on tasks as part of the team
Literacy. Basic education
Minimum two years of experience as a skilled worker in this field
Language Level Description
Threshold or intermediate
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
This job doesn't have technical skills.
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates knowledge of and accepts MSF’s principles
- Respects the choices made by the organisation.
- Has basic knowledge of MSF’s mission and main activities.
- Respects and accepts the medical ethics and principles of MSF.
- Knows the difference between MSF’s activities and those of other NGOs and actors.
- Accepts changes without knowing the full reasons for them.
- Accepts new ideas in a positive way.
- Positively accepts changes in his/her environment.
- Accepts arguments opposed to his/her own.
- Is willing to listen and to take on new tasks in his/her job.
Manages own stress
- Expresses awareness of his/her own stress level.
- Is able to identify causes of his/her own stress and/or asks for help in detecting them.
- Is able to express to others his/her personal stressors at an appropriate time without
Results and Quality Orientation
Performs his/her work
- Knows objectives of the job.
- Defines tasks to achieve objectives and establishes a working plan.
- Reviews and checks his/her work to detect mistakes and to correct them immediately.
- Values high-quality work.
Knows and understands clients’ needs and interests
- Identifies and has a clear understanding of who the client to be served is.
- Identifies clients’ needs and concerns, and provides them with useful information and
- Listens to clients and asks them questions to determine their needs and motivations.
- Gets to know how the rest of the team works.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Acknowledges the importance of teamwork and cooperation
- Is responsible for his/her work because he/she knows the repercussions it has on the
team or on others.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with colleagues, is accessible
and listens to others.
- Cooperates with the team and supports decisions made.
- Demonstrates a predisposition to work with others and gives help when asked.
- Acknowledges there are common goals as well as individual objectives deriving from
the personal plan of action.