Reports to (Hierarchical)
Help, accompany and transport patients from a place to another within the health facility, according to the instruction from the medical team and following hygiene standards, in order to ensure their safety.
- Transport patients (e.g. from patient’s room to the operating theatre, from his bed to the x-ray room, from the consultation to his room, etc.), assisting and helping them at all times.
- Assist nursing staff with patient needs (i.e. lifting patients up, lying them down, bathing them, dressing them, changing bed linen or, if required, giving them their medicines)
- Inform medical staff about any possible serious problem or complication during shift (i.e. patients, equipment, etc).
- Ensure safe transport taking into consideration the state/conditions of the patient and the instructions given by nursing team or doctors.
- Keep the patients and families informed about the place they are taking the patient to.
- Follow at all times the universal hygiene standards and the instructions of health professionals.
- Ensure the disinfection of his/her material (stretch, etc.).
- Report all important information and assist in other tasks upon request.
Language Level Description
Waystage or elementary
- Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment).
- Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
- Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
Person / material hygiene
Capacity to ensure adequate use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Knowledge and respect of universal standard precautions
Knowledge and respect of disinfection material guidelinesL1 Knowledge and respect of universal standard precautions
Knowledge and respect of disinfection material guidelines
Capable to implement basic patient handling procedures (ref. Red Cross guidelines)
Able to understand basic medical vocabulary about patient conditions
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates knowledge of and accepts MSF’s principles
- Respects the choices made by the organisation.
- Has basic knowledge of MSF’s mission and main activities.
- Respects and accepts the medical ethics and principles of MSF.
- Knows the difference between MSF’s activities and those of other NGOs and actors.
- Accepts changes without knowing the full reasons for them.
- Accepts new ideas in a positive way.
- Positively accepts changes in his/her environment.
- Accepts arguments opposed to his/her own.
- Is willing to listen and to take on new tasks in his/her job.
Restrains emotional reactions and responds calmly
- Is able to continue working or speaking without being provoked to anger.
- Walks away from a stressful situation in order to control his/her own emotions.
- Carries on talking or working calmly in extremely frustrating or stressful situations.
Results and Quality Orientation
Performs his/her work
- Knows objectives of the job.
- Defines tasks to achieve objectives and establishes a working plan.
- Reviews and checks his/her work to detect mistakes and to correct them immediately.
- Values high-quality work.
Knows and understands clients’ needs and interests
- Identifies and has a clear understanding of who the client to be served is.
- Identifies clients’ needs and concerns, and provides them with useful information and
- Listens to clients and asks them questions to determine their needs and motivations.
- Gets to know how the rest of the team works.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Acknowledges the importance of teamwork and cooperation
- Is responsible for his/her work because he/she knows the repercussions it has on the
team or on others.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with colleagues, is accessible
and listens to others.
- Cooperates with the team and supports decisions made.
- Demonstrates a predisposition to work with others and gives help when asked.
- Acknowledges there are common goals as well as individual objectives deriving from
the personal plan of action.