15 – 18
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Medical Activity Manager /Project Medical Referent
Reports to (Functional)
Medical Activity Manager (if any) /Project Medical Referent / Medical Coordinator / Paediatric Advisor from Medical Department
Providing outpatient and/or inpatient paediatric care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the new-born and child/beneficiaries health conditions
- Applying medical knowledge and skills to prevention, diagnosis and treatment of children, ensuring integrated new-born and paediatric care through Emergency, OPD, and IPD services in New-borns and cases of malnutrition. Prescribing the necessary treatment, respecting MSF protocols.
- Collaborating closely with the different department of the hospital (e.g. Maternity), Knowing and ensuring all updated MSF medical protocols and universal precautions are followed and implemented, reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control.
- As an expert in paediatrics, proposing strategy (modification on current new-born and paediatric care management) and implementing them after validation of Operation and Paediatric Advisor.
- Ensuring on-going new-born and paediatric training (formal and bedside) of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the new-born and paediatric quality of care. Reviewing and discussing selected complicated cases or mistakes and giving technical input.
- Keeping patients and their families informed of the illness and the treatment to follow, checking that they have been understood. Ensuring professional autonomy and confidentiality are respected and a good attitude and proper bedside manner towards the patient and their care takers and the rest of the medical team.
- Following up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients through daily visits, consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Monitoring the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material and addresses the list of the missing item for new-born and paediatric activities. Providing inputs about general organization of the different paediatric wards, including the admission, transfer and discharge criteria + referral procedure from Maternity and post-delivery wards
- Checking and controlling the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and taking care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assuring general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participating in the introduction / improvement of the collection and analysis of epidemiological new-born and paediatric data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problems or complications of the patient’s illness and medical errors. Collecting Clinical cases for further trainings and list a series of comments to improve the current MSF protocols
- Managing the team under his/her direct responsibility according to MSF HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance, organizing and scheduling shifts and rotations, directly participating in emergencies and on calls if necessary.
- Designing and providing training to staff as required.
- Debriefing with coordination, Headquarter (including Paediatric Advisor) and providing written report on main findings, activities, conclusions and further recommendations.
- Medical Doctor diploma in a recognized university
- Paediatrics qualification preferred
3 years experience minimum as a Medical Doctor in paediatric hospital
Language Level Description
Vantage or upper intermediate
- Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialisation.
- Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
- Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
This job doesn't have technical skills.
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates loyalty, awareness and respect for MSF’s values
- Expresses his/her interest by talking/asking/giving informed opinions about MSF’s activities.
- Expresses he/she wants to work with MSF because of its principles and mission.
- Overtly expresses his/her satisfaction at belonging to MSF and defends MSF’s social mission.
- Refers to beneficiaries* when speaking about his/her own work.
- Always transmits a positive image of MSF in front of both colleagues and external people.
- Translates the principles of MSF into actions.
Adapts behaviour to the needs of the situation
- Accepts decisions which are not completely in line with his/her personal opinions.
- Is flexible in applying and adapting procedures.
- Adapts his/her behaviour to the characteristics of the interlocutor and/or situation.
- Learns from problems and difficulties, becoming more competent at resolving similar
situations in the future.
- Looks for adaptable solutions in order to achieve objectives.
- Reassesses priorities when circumstances change, focusing on objectives.
Understands other people’ s stress
- Has an understanding attitude towards other people’s mistakes and shortcomings.
- Gives calm and polite answers and repeats them patiently if necessary.
- Uses techniques or plans activities to manage his/her own stress.
- Responds and acts constructively in conflictive situations.
Results and Quality Orientation
Works towards objectives, preserving established standards
- Perseveres until the objectives of the job and the team have been met.
- Complies with the procedures, processes and rules set by MSF.
- Is aware that the purpose of his/her job is to meet the specified objectives.
- Is autonomous.
- Mobilizes resources.
- Analyses problems and constraints.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Shares information and coordinates with team and/or others
- Shares significant information in a timely manner and actively seeks the opinion of
team members or others through empathetic communication.
- Allows others to question work/input if this leads to improvement.
- Coordinates with other team members to ensure that common objectives are achieved.
- Shows interest in and empathy with team members.