Reports to (Hierarchical)
Project Coordinator / Project Medical Referent/ Hospital Director
Reports to (Functional)
Hospital Director / Project Medical Referent
Defining, ensuring, monitoring and evaluating all patient care related activities in the hospital by providing effective nursing leadership and management of team according to MSF standards and protocols in order to guarantee the continuity and quality of health care in the project
- Ensuring high quality nursing care, proper functioning of the hospital and the continuity of general medical care provided for patients according to MSF Nursing Guidelines, standards and protocols.
- Defining nursing objectives, developing/amending nursing guidelines and protocols and collaborating with the Deputy Head Nurse to achieve training objectives and empowerment of supervisors. Ensuring the respect of patient interest and autonomy and the proper implementation and adherence to MSF protocols, standards and procedures.
- Regularly auditing and ensuring the maintenance of and adherence to infection control standards within the health facility. Keeping a safe hospital environment, intervening and alerting the Medical Coordinator in case of security incidents and hygiene concerns in the hospital.
- Supervising the departments and team under his/her responsibility (IPD, Maternity, OT and Hygiene) and following up unit activities with the supervisors. Participating at rounds, attending meetings and facilitating collaborations.
- Planning and supervising, with the support of the HR department, the associated HR processes (recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, motivation, development and internal communication) of the nursing staff in the project and other staff under his/her responsibility, in order to ensure having the appropriate team in terms of size, capabilities and skills.
- Ensuring efficient management of the pharmacy (ensuring the weekly orders are done to avoid exceptional orders, managing expired items and regular inventories)
- In coordination with the project biomedical service supervising the appropriate use of medical devices and anticipating and communicating future needs.
- Coordinating with logistics and the Hospital Facilities Manager to ensure that the infrastructure is maintained in good condition, non-food items are tracked and kept and transfer systems in the hospital are organized (e.g. patients and medicines) ensuring appropriate staff and support equipment
- Ensuring proper and timely data collection from supervisors and assists in the analysis of monthly data for inpatient and outpatient departments. Prepares the monthly nursing and hygiene SitReps. Reviewing all nursing incident reports and intervenes when necessary
- Nursing and systems-level experience (either supervisory or managerial).
- Maternal and/or paediatric program experience.
- Experience as a nurse supervisor in MSF
- Experience in both medical and surgical nursing a plus
Language Level Description
Vantage or upper intermediate
- Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialisation.
- Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
- Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
This job doesn't have technical skills.
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates loyalty, awareness and respect for MSF’s values
- Expresses his/her interest by talking/asking/giving informed opinions about MSF’s activities.
- Expresses he/she wants to work with MSF because of its principles and mission.
- Overtly expresses his/her satisfaction at belonging to MSF and defends MSF’s social mission.
- Refers to beneficiaries* when speaking about his/her own work.
- Always transmits a positive image of MSF in front of both colleagues and external people.
- Translates the principles of MSF into actions.
Facilitates and helps to bring about changes in others
- Sets up mechanisms that can minimise the impact of an “expected change” on others,
for instance, a good briefing.
- Communicates and provides information even when he/she is not the team leader.
Results and Quality Orientation
Improves performance and sets ambitious and realistic goals
- Strives to continually improve work methods.
- Suggests news ways of increasing efficiency in his/her field of action.
- Demonstrates a continuous learning attitude.
- Sets as an objective the improvement of the process.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Encourages, engages and motivates people to work as a team
- Shows he/she values the experience and input of other team members through
- Makes decisions taking into account how they affect the team.
- Actively seeks input from team members to define how they will work together.
- Makes sure the common objective is known and supported by all the team.
- Works to achieve cohesion and a spirit of cooperation in the team.
- Involves the team in the decision-making process that may affect all its members.
People Management and Development
Gives feedback and sets limits
- Informs and gives feedback about results achieved by the team.
- Individually rectifies ineffective behaviour through constructive feedback.
- Acknowledges the positive performance of his/her collaborators, using suitable
techniques for the follow-up appraisal.
- Manages any discrepancies between team members’ expectations and the reality of
- Is approachable and makes time for all team members.