15 – 18
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Laboratory Manager (if any) / Project Coordinator
Planning, organizing and carrying out laboratory activities and supervising the laboratory staff according to MSF protocols, security measures and hygiene standards, in order to support the MSF medical team in the diagnosis of patients’ diseases.
- Participating in the project planning and follow-up and reviewing the laboratory budget when necessary in order to support MSF’s medical activities.
- Ensuring the compliance of MSF hygiene and safety protocols, both individually and collectively as well as informing staff of existing biological risks.
- Performing laboratory tests and carrying out sample collection (serology, hematology, biochemistry, bacteriology, parasitology ...) in accordance with prescriptions as well as ensuring that quality control tests are carried out regularly. Informing the doctor of the results of the tests and keeping a record of the analysis with data from patients.
- Ensuring proper management (cleaning, maintenance, arranging) of all laboratory equipment and the adequate supply of needed equipment and material in order to prevent stock-outs. This includes being responsible for all required automatic instrument calibration, ensuring that no material is taken out of laboratories without prior authorization and carrying out a proper storage system and conditions, inventory, etc.
In cooperation with logistics department, ensuring that cold chain is properly maintained in Laboratory areas for both, samples and reagents.
- In the absence of a Laboratory Manager, ensuring proper registration and needs of all lab related activities and implementing a correct use of the associated management tool (EpyTryp. Etc.) in order to have a proper recording of laboratory activities. Preparing and sending slides/samples for external quality control .
- Supervising, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, coaching, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required
- Ensuring that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained. Ensuring cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols. Reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service.
- Producing regular reports on the testing and on any issues / problems related to laboratory personnel and / or the material used.
Essential degree as Laboratory Technician
- Essential 2 years experience in a laboratory, preferably as a Lab Tech.
- Desirable in MSF or another NGO, desirable in a clinical laboratory
Language Level Description
Threshold or intermediate
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
Able to analyze complex and heterogeneous data
Able to ensure data quality controlL3 Able to analyze complex and heterogeneous data
Able to ensure data quality control
Person / material hygiene
Able to supervise use of PPE in a service or department
Understanding of bio-hazard risk (secure waste disposal)
Appropriation of MSF Infection control protocols and proceduresL3 Understanding of bio-hazard risk (secure waste disposal)
Appropriation of MSF Infection control protocols and procedures
Able to issue accurate drug prescriptions
Able to manage ward/OT material stock (inventory, refilling)
Able to evaluate equipment status (availability, functioning)
L1 able to manage ward/OT material stock (inventory, refilling)
Able to evaluate equipment status (availability, functioning)
Knowledge of safe transfusion practices
Knowledge of laboratory testing (indication, handling, performing, delivery)
Knowledge of Lab monitoring software (EPItrip, etc.)
Capacity to provide basic periodic maintenance of biomedical device
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates loyalty, awareness and respect for MSF’s values
- Expresses his/her interest by talking/asking/giving informed opinions about MSF’s activities.
- Expresses he/she wants to work with MSF because of its principles and mission.
- Overtly expresses his/her satisfaction at belonging to MSF and defends MSF’s social mission.
- Refers to beneficiaries* when speaking about his/her own work.
- Always transmits a positive image of MSF in front of both colleagues and external people.
- Translates the principles of MSF into actions.
Adapts behaviour to the needs of the situation
- Accepts decisions which are not completely in line with his/her personal opinions.
- Is flexible in applying and adapting procedures.
- Adapts his/her behaviour to the characteristics of the interlocutor and/or situation.
- Learns from problems and difficulties, becoming more competent at resolving similar
situations in the future.
- Looks for adaptable solutions in order to achieve objectives.
- Reassesses priorities when circumstances change, focusing on objectives.
Understands other people’ s stress
- Has an understanding attitude towards other people’s mistakes and shortcomings.
- Gives calm and polite answers and repeats them patiently if necessary.
- Uses techniques or plans activities to manage his/her own stress.
- Responds and acts constructively in conflictive situations.
Results and Quality Orientation
Works towards objectives, preserving established standards
- Perseveres until the objectives of the job and the team have been met.
- Complies with the procedures, processes and rules set by MSF.
- Is aware that the purpose of his/her job is to meet the specified objectives.
- Is autonomous.
- Mobilizes resources.
- Analyses problems and constraints.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Shares information and coordinates with team and/or others
- Shares significant information in a timely manner and actively seeks the opinion of
team members or others through empathetic communication.
- Allows others to question work/input if this leads to improvement.
- Coordinates with other team members to ensure that common objectives are achieved.
- Shows interest in and empathy with team members.