Reports to (Hierarchical)
Verbal interpretation, in person or remotely, during daily medical activities (medical round, consultations, interviews, meetings, etc.) and written translations, from the mission language to local language(s) or vice versa, in order to ensure accurate, respectful, fluent and confidential communication between medical staff and local population.
- Inform medical staff about important cultural nuances to consider during a meeting, medical consultation or interview with local people.
- Participate in staff trainings and meetings as an interpreter.
- Provide face to face interpreting, as well as during telephone and radio calls or other telecom devices, when necessary.
- Adapt communication to any circumstances, using appropriate language registry as well as diplomatic and courtesy manners.
- Translate MSF internal / external documents into local language(s).
- Keep record of all translated documents.
- Look after all equipment provided, i.e. dictionaries or other books that belong to MSF
- Ensure confidentiality and medical secrecy.
Essential secondary education, university degree desirable, health knowledge advisable.
Language Level Description
Threshold or intermediate
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
Able to archive files according to MSF protocols
Able to compile simple and repetitive reportsL1 Able to archive files according to MSF protocols
Able to compile simple and repetitive reports
Person / material hygiene
Capacity to ensure adequate use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Knowledge and respect of universal standard precautions
Knowledge and respect of disinfection material guidelinesL1 Knowledge and respect of universal standard precautions
Knowledge and respect of disinfection material guidelines
Knowledge of the most common technical medical terms
Understanding of common pharmaceutical vocabulary
Knowledge of pharmacy management softwareL1 Understanding of common pharmaceutical vocabulary
Knowledge of pharmacy management software
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates knowledge of and accepts MSF’s principles
- Respects the choices made by the organisation.
- Has basic knowledge of MSF’s mission and main activities.
- Respects and accepts the medical ethics and principles of MSF.
- Knows the difference between MSF’s activities and those of other NGOs and actors.
- Accepts changes without knowing the full reasons for them.
- Accepts new ideas in a positive way.
- Positively accepts changes in his/her environment.
- Accepts arguments opposed to his/her own.
- Is willing to listen and to take on new tasks in his/her job.
Manages own stress
- Expresses awareness of his/her own stress level.
- Is able to identify causes of his/her own stress and/or asks for help in detecting them.
- Is able to express to others his/her personal stressors at an appropriate time without
Results and Quality Orientation
Performs his/her work
- Knows objectives of the job.
- Defines tasks to achieve objectives and establishes a working plan.
- Reviews and checks his/her work to detect mistakes and to correct them immediately.
- Values high-quality work.
Knows and understands clients’ needs and interests
- Identifies and has a clear understanding of who the client to be served is.
- Identifies clients’ needs and concerns, and provides them with useful information and
- Listens to clients and asks them questions to determine their needs and motivations.
- Gets to know how the rest of the team works.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Acknowledges the importance of teamwork and cooperation
- Is responsible for his/her work because he/she knows the repercussions it has on the
team or on others.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with colleagues, is accessible
and listens to others.
- Cooperates with the team and supports decisions made.
- Demonstrates a predisposition to work with others and gives help when asked.
- Acknowledges there are common goals as well as individual objectives deriving from
the personal plan of action.