MISSION LOGISTICS MANAGER
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Reports to (Functional)
Operational Cell Log Advisor
Participating and collaborating with the Head Of Mission and the Cell Logistic Advisor (TeLoCo) in the definition and implementation of all technical and logistics strategies and support to the field. This implies ensuring the pertinence and coherence of logistics programs, the adequacy of the means provided and the compliance to MSF standards and protocols in order to enable the development of the mission in perfect working conditions and optimize the impact of the medical projects
- With the close support of the Cell Logistic Advisor (TeLoCo), participating in the definition and update of annual project planning and budgets and the Emergency Preparation Plan, advising the HoM in the translation of the identified logistical / technical needs into objectives, priorities and resources needed for intervention.
- Monitoring the implementation of logistics/technical/supply activities in the mission ensuring compliance to MSF standards, protocols and procedures, and reporting to the HoM on the development of the ongoing programmes and proposing reorientation strategies when needed.
- In close collaboration with the HR department, participating in the recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing and performance evaluation of the logistics staff in the mission in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required. Implementing all these related activities to the logistics staff under his/her direct responsibility.
- Ensuring technical reference for all logistics/technical issues in the mission and provides coaching to logistics staff.
- Ensuring installation and maintenance of functional office space(s) and lodging facilities in an adequate living condition as well as all the equipment required.
- Monitoring and implementing the technical aspects of the risk reduction rules: transport, communication, protection, identification and preparation of the technical aspects of the mission security plan, evacuation plan and other contingency plans.
- Ensuring communication means in the Mission (including numbers frequencies), allowing permanent communication between capital, projects, bases and HQ. Ensures all staff in the Mission benefits from proper training on how to use communications equipment available in the Mission (e.g. satellite phones, HF/VHF radios, computers, etc.)
- Providing reports on projects/mission evolution from the technical/logistics perspective and proposing corrections if needed
Essential working experience of at least two years in relevant jobs, experience with MSF or other NGOs in developing countries.
Language Level Description
Vantage or upper intermediate
- Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialisation.
- Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
- Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
This job doesn't have technical skills.
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates loyalty, awareness and respect for MSF’s values
- Expresses his/her interest by talking/asking/giving informed opinions about MSF’s activities.
- Expresses he/she wants to work with MSF because of its principles and mission.
- Overtly expresses his/her satisfaction at belonging to MSF and defends MSF’s social mission.
- Refers to beneficiaries* when speaking about his/her own work.
- Always transmits a positive image of MSF in front of both colleagues and external people.
- Translates the principles of MSF into actions.
Adapts behaviour to the needs of the situation
- Accepts decisions which are not completely in line with his/her personal opinions.
- Is flexible in applying and adapting procedures.
- Adapts his/her behaviour to the characteristics of the interlocutor and/or situation.
- Learns from problems and difficulties, becoming more competent at resolving similar
situations in the future.
- Looks for adaptable solutions in order to achieve objectives.
- Reassesses priorities when circumstances change, focusing on objectives.
Results and Quality Orientation
Improves performance and sets ambitious and realistic goals
- Strives to continually improve work methods.
- Suggests news ways of increasing efficiency in his/her field of action.
- Demonstrates a continuous learning attitude.
- Sets as an objective the improvement of the process.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Encourages, engages and motivates people to work as a team
- Shows he/she values the experience and input of other team members through
- Makes decisions taking into account how they affect the team.
- Actively seeks input from team members to define how they will work together.
- Makes sure the common objective is known and supported by all the team.
- Works to achieve cohesion and a spirit of cooperation in the team.
- Involves the team in the decision-making process that may affect all its members.
People Management and Development
Gives feedback and sets limits
- Informs and gives feedback about results achieved by the team.
- Individually rectifies ineffective behaviour through constructive feedback.
- Acknowledges the positive performance of his/her collaborators, using suitable
techniques for the follow-up appraisal.
- Manages any discrepancies between team members’ expectations and the reality of
- Is approachable and makes time for all team members.