HEAD OF RADIO OPERATORS
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Supervising radio operators' activities, ensuring and providing their training, according to MSF standards and communication protocols, in order to provide quality radio communications for the operational needs of the mission.
- As a radio operator, monitoring movements of people, vehicles, helicopters, airplanes, cargo, etc. (i.e. departure, arrival, number of passengers, route taken, etc.), and ensuring that messages and information are passed to all people concerned, following MSF protocols at all times.
- Memorizing and using all radio codes, call numbers and radio alphabet, and for security reasons, always using appropriate language over the radio.
- Supervising the radio operators' team, organizing personnel shifts to ensure appropriate, ongoing service coverage.
- Training and guiding new and experienced radio operators and ensuring they follow all protocols. Providing training to all new radio perators
- Checking the correct functioning of all equipment and informing line manager of any damage, loss, or theft. Registering the loan of handsets to all staff and following it up on a regular basis.
- Ensuring that only authorized people use the radio, preventing of any damage and theft.
- Supervising or carrying out the cleaning and minor maintenance tasks (charging batteries, etc.) of all equipment and facilities.
- Assisting in installing VHF and HF radios with all the equipment required in buildings and vehicles
Literacy essential, secondary education desirable
Essential previous experience in MSF
Language Level Description
Threshold or intermediate
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
This job doesn't have technical skills.
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates knowledge of and accepts MSF’s principles
- Respects the choices made by the organisation.
- Has basic knowledge of MSF’s mission and main activities.
- Respects and accepts the medical ethics and principles of MSF.
- Knows the difference between MSF’s activities and those of other NGOs and actors.
- Accepts changes without knowing the full reasons for them.
- Accepts new ideas in a positive way.
- Positively accepts changes in his/her environment.
- Accepts arguments opposed to his/her own.
- Is willing to listen and to take on new tasks in his/her job.
Manages own stress
- Expresses awareness of his/her own stress level.
- Is able to identify causes of his/her own stress and/or asks for help in detecting them.
- Is able to express to others his/her personal stressors at an appropriate time without
Results and Quality Orientation
Performs his/her work
- Knows objectives of the job.
- Defines tasks to achieve objectives and establishes a working plan.
- Reviews and checks his/her work to detect mistakes and to correct them immediately.
- Values high-quality work.
Knows and understands clients’ needs and interests
- Identifies and has a clear understanding of who the client to be served is.
- Identifies clients’ needs and concerns, and provides them with useful information and
- Listens to clients and asks them questions to determine their needs and motivations.
- Gets to know how the rest of the team works.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Acknowledges the importance of teamwork and cooperation
- Is responsible for his/her work because he/she knows the repercussions it has on the
team or on others.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with colleagues, is accessible
and listens to others.
- Cooperates with the team and supports decisions made.
- Demonstrates a predisposition to work with others and gives help when asked.
- Acknowledges there are common goals as well as individual objectives deriving from
the personal plan of action.