LABORATORY TECHNICIAN ASSISTANT
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Assist the laboratory technician in carrying out laboratory-related activities, in accordance with his/her instructions and MSF protocols, security measures and hygiene standards, in order to help obtaining lab results that will help to determine patient’s treatment.
- Assisting in carrying out laboratory exams, preparing material, reagents and environmental work conditions, etc.
- Complying with at all times the hygiene protocols for individual and collective safety, with special focus on sterilizing the material.
- Carrying out cleaning and washing activities in the laboratory facilities and material, and ensure proper waste separation and disposal.
- Following all the administrative procedures, registering the patient’s data and his/her tests’ results, keeping track of all activities.
- Participating, under the laboratory technician's supervision, in the efficient management and organisation of laboratory equipment and supply. (equipment user maintenance, stock follow-up, storage conditions, inventory, expired substances, etc.).
- Reporting any problem arising in the laboratory, especially loss, robbery or damage of material.
Language Level Description
Waystage or elementary
- Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment).
- Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
- Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
Person / material hygiene
Capacity to ensure adequate use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Knowledge and respect of universal standard precautions
Knowledge and respect of disinfection material guidelinesL1 Knowledge and respect of universal standard precautions
Knowledge and respect of disinfection material guidelines
Able to issue accurate drug prescriptions
Knowledge of laboratory equipment and organization
Knowledge of MSF biomedical maintenance protocol: use and monitoring/functioning
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates knowledge of and accepts MSF’s principles
- Respects the choices made by the organisation.
- Has basic knowledge of MSF’s mission and main activities.
- Respects and accepts the medical ethics and principles of MSF.
- Knows the difference between MSF’s activities and those of other NGOs and actors.
- Accepts changes without knowing the full reasons for them.
- Accepts new ideas in a positive way.
- Positively accepts changes in his/her environment.
- Accepts arguments opposed to his/her own.
- Is willing to listen and to take on new tasks in his/her job.
Restrains emotional reactions and responds calmly
- Is able to continue working or speaking without being provoked to anger.
- Walks away from a stressful situation in order to control his/her own emotions.
- Carries on talking or working calmly in extremely frustrating or stressful situations.
Results and Quality Orientation
Performs his/her work
- Knows objectives of the job.
- Defines tasks to achieve objectives and establishes a working plan.
- Reviews and checks his/her work to detect mistakes and to correct them immediately.
- Values high-quality work.
Knows and understands clients’ needs and interests
- Identifies and has a clear understanding of who the client to be served is.
- Identifies clients’ needs and concerns, and provides them with useful information and
- Listens to clients and asks them questions to determine their needs and motivations.
- Gets to know how the rest of the team works.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Acknowledges the importance of teamwork and cooperation
- Is responsible for his/her work because he/she knows the repercussions it has on the
team or on others.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with colleagues, is accessible
and listens to others.
- Cooperates with the team and supports decisions made.
- Demonstrates a predisposition to work with others and gives help when asked.
- Acknowledges there are common goals as well as individual objectives deriving from
the personal plan of action.