15 – 18
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Medical Doctor/ Activity Manager (if any)
Reports to (Functional)
Medical Doctor/ Activity Manager (if any)
Organizing and ensuring medical consultations to the target population providing treatment to patients within the scope of his/her medical competencies and referring them when appropriate, according to MSF protocols, procedures and the universal hygiene standards in order to guarantee quality and efficiency of the service provided.
- Ensuring the implementation and standardization of MSF clinical policies, tools, and hygiene protocols in order to minimize clinical risks and to guarantee the quality of patient care management. Promoting and maintaining confidentiality regarding all patient cases and records
- Implementing diagnosis, prescription and prevention procedures that fall under the scope of his/her competencies applying medical knowledge, asking appropriate questions to patients and following protocols in force as well as using laboratory services when necessary, in order to ensure a correct implementation of the medical treatments and to refer patients when appropriate.
- Participating in the planning and supervision, in close coordination with other supervisors, the HR processes (sizing, staff shifts, recruitment, training, evaluation, development and communication) of the team in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required, improve people triage capabilities, their motivation and commitment and their active participation in teaching the targeted population on therapeutic and preventive protocols.
- Ensuring that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained. Ensuring cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols. Reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service.List item
- In cases of emergency, carrying out first aid care and treatment according to protocols in order to reduce mortality rates
- Recording in the individual patient’s card and registration books, all performed medical activities (drugs prescribed, lab results, vaccination status, epidemiological activity, doses, etc.) keeping data traceability in order to ensure patients treatment continuity.
- Participating in data collection and reporting when required
- Knowing and implementing Patient Therapeutic Education (PTE), i.e. keeping contact with all patients, providing them information regarding their health state and responding to their questions.
- Knowing and promoting the proper application of Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit and Sexually Gender Based Violence (SGBV) protocol.
Essential clinical officer diploma
Desirable previous clinical supervision experience of at least one year, For OCA: Essential, 2 years of relevant working experience
Language Level Description
Threshold or intermediate
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
Able to provide routine data analysis
Person / material hygiene
Able to supervise use of PPE in a service or department
Be able to perform a basic sterilization process
Capacity to compensate patient disability (moving, feeding, toileting)
Able to issue accurate drug prescriptions
Knowledge of basic nutritional principles (examples)
Able to perform nutritional evaluation (screening, food security)
Knowledge of MS protocols, guidelines and therapeutic choices
Basic level of clinical consultation (diagnosis, treatment, follow-up) for simple pathologies (malaria, diarrhea, respiratory infections)
Able to perform clinical triage at admission
Advanced level of nursing procedures (dressing, IV, cannulisation, fluid monitoring)
Able to perform basic local anesthesia
Knowledge of anesthetic drugs for local anesthesia
Knowledge of medical epidemiology principles (mortality, morbidity, evolution of out brakes)
Able to use rapid diagnostic tests (malaria, syphilis, hemoglobin, glucose, etc)
Capacity to provide basic periodic maintenance of biomedical device
Able to identify SGBV victims and handle post exposure prophylaxis
Basic theoretical knowledge of HIV and TB (symptoms, disease steps, treatment)
Able to perform clinical consultation of HIV/TB patients
Knowledge of MSF HIV/TB protocols, guidelines and therapeutic choices
MW Be able to design and implement an PMTCT program
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates loyalty, awareness and respect for MSF’s values
- Expresses his/her interest by talking/asking/giving informed opinions about MSF’s activities.
- Expresses he/she wants to work with MSF because of its principles and mission.
- Overtly expresses his/her satisfaction at belonging to MSF and defends MSF’s social mission.
- Refers to beneficiaries* when speaking about his/her own work.
- Always transmits a positive image of MSF in front of both colleagues and external people.
- Translates the principles of MSF into actions.
Adapts behaviour to the needs of the situation
- Accepts decisions which are not completely in line with his/her personal opinions.
- Is flexible in applying and adapting procedures.
- Adapts his/her behaviour to the characteristics of the interlocutor and/or situation.
- Learns from problems and difficulties, becoming more competent at resolving similar
situations in the future.
- Looks for adaptable solutions in order to achieve objectives.
- Reassesses priorities when circumstances change, focusing on objectives.
Understands other people’ s stress
- Has an understanding attitude towards other people’s mistakes and shortcomings.
- Gives calm and polite answers and repeats them patiently if necessary.
- Uses techniques or plans activities to manage his/her own stress.
- Responds and acts constructively in conflictive situations.
Results and Quality Orientation
Works towards objectives, preserving established standards
- Perseveres until the objectives of the job and the team have been met.
- Complies with the procedures, processes and rules set by MSF.
- Is aware that the purpose of his/her job is to meet the specified objectives.
- Is autonomous.
- Mobilizes resources.
- Analyses problems and constraints.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Shares information and coordinates with team and/or others
- Shares significant information in a timely manner and actively seeks the opinion of
team members or others through empathetic communication.
- Allows others to question work/input if this leads to improvement.
- Coordinates with other team members to ensure that common objectives are achieved.
- Shows interest in and empathy with team members.