15 – 18
Reports to (Hierarchical)
Activities Manager (if any) / Project Coordinator
Reports to (Functional)
Activity Manager /Project Medical Referent- MTL-MFP / Medical Coordinator
Organize and carry-out all nursing activities related to the operating theatre (OT) running, according to MSF health protocols, universal hygienic standards and in coordination with the surgeon and anaesthetist, in order to ensure a smooth functioning of the surgical activities (pre, during and post-operative care) offered to patients.
- Ensure the preparation of the material and equipment (checking the quantity and quality), in the OT and carry-out the reception, transport of the patient from the preparation room to the OT and ensuring his/her installation for surgery.
- Assist the surgeon and anaesthetist during the operation, anticipating their needs, in order to facilitate their job and helping throughout the whole process.
- Checks vital parameters of the patient with the nurse anaesthetist
- Organize the patient’s transport and installation from the operating theatre to the recovery room and carry-out and/or supervise all the post-operative activities (used material collection, OT’s cleaning and disinfection, resetting all equipment and material back), in order to prepare the OT for next surgical intervention or any emergency.
- Implement and follow-up the hygiene, sterilization, asepsis and disinfection protocols and procedures at all times, in pre, during and post-operative activities, in order to ensure the patient and staff’s safety conditions. i.e. waste containers availability, sharps container, checking no material or needles remain in the surgical towels, placing instruments into soak container, take instruments/linen to sterilization unit, etc.).
- Supervise and train the nurse-aids and cleaners while in the OT in following all appropriate protocols and procedures, in order to ensure the quality of the healthcare given to patients. and train NS where applicable
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Follow user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning of any device.
- Control all equipment and material stock to be used in the OT, in order to ensure an efficient and rationale use of material resources while preventing damage and deterioration.
- Carry-out and supervise administrative procedures and documents (check identity of patient and his/her consent for the operation, fill in patients files, forms, statistics, quantitative surgical data collection, etc.), and report any problematic situations and cases arising, in order to have updated and correct information about the day-to-day activity and ensuring proper transfer of information.
- Participate in data and reporting
- Intervene in support of other services whenever needed and work particularly in close collaboration with the accident, emergency department and with obstetrics.
- Nursing diploma with specialisation as a theatre nurse essential.Desired Bachelor in science of Nursing
- For OCP: don’t need specialization. Two year experience as IBODE in a 2nd level hospital is enough.
Desirable 2 years experience. Having worked in MSF or other NGO’s and in developing countries is desirable.
Language Level Description
Threshold or intermediate
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
Able to provide routine data analysis
Person / material hygiene
Capacity to ensure adequate use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Understanding of bio-hazard risk (secure waste disposal)
Appropriation of MSF Infection control protocols and proceduresL3 Understanding of bio-hazard risk (secure waste disposal)
Appropriation of MSF Infection control protocols and procedures
Capacity to compensate patient disability (moving, feeding, toileting)
Able to issue accurate drug prescriptions
Able to manage ward/OT material stock (inventory, refilling)
Able to evaluate equipment status (availability, functioning)
L1 able to manage ward/OT material stock (inventory, refilling)
Able to evaluate equipment status (availability, functioning)
Able to perform basic counseling and/or educational sessions under supervision
Able to identify cases presenting psycho-social problems
Able to identify basic pathological conditions (apathy, anorexia, see jd…)
Capacity to address to specific medical conditions (hypothermia and fever)
Able to perform basic local anesthesia
Knowledge of anesthetic drugs for local anesthesia
OT Nurse / staff
Able to identify and prepare all surgical sets
Mastery of circulating nursing roles (organization of work within an OT)
Able to assist surgeon during the operation
Able to use rapid diagnostic tests (malaria, syphilis, hemoglobin, glucose, etc)
Capacity to provide basic periodic maintenance of biomedical device
Able to identify SGBV victims and handle post exposure prophylaxis
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates knowledge of and accepts MSF’s principles
- Respects the choices made by the organisation.
- Has basic knowledge of MSF’s mission and main activities.
- Respects and accepts the medical ethics and principles of MSF.
- Knows the difference between MSF’s activities and those of other NGOs and actors.
- Accepts changes without knowing the full reasons for them.
- Accepts new ideas in a positive way.
- Positively accepts changes in his/her environment.
- Accepts arguments opposed to his/her own.
- Is willing to listen and to take on new tasks in his/her job.
Manages own stress
- Expresses awareness of his/her own stress level.
- Is able to identify causes of his/her own stress and/or asks for help in detecting them.
- Is able to express to others his/her personal stressors at an appropriate time without
Results and Quality Orientation
Performs his/her work
- Knows objectives of the job.
- Defines tasks to achieve objectives and establishes a working plan.
- Reviews and checks his/her work to detect mistakes and to correct them immediately.
- Values high-quality work.
Knows and understands clients’ needs and interests
- Identifies and has a clear understanding of who the client to be served is.
- Identifies clients’ needs and concerns, and provides them with useful information and
- Listens to clients and asks them questions to determine their needs and motivations.
- Gets to know how the rest of the team works.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Acknowledges the importance of teamwork and cooperation
- Is responsible for his/her work because he/she knows the repercussions it has on the
team or on others.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with colleagues, is accessible
and listens to others.
- Cooperates with the team and supports decisions made.
- Demonstrates a predisposition to work with others and gives help when asked.
- Acknowledges there are common goals as well as individual objectives deriving from
the personal plan of action.