Reports to (Hierarchical)
IEC-HP Activities Manager, Mental Health Activities Manager
Reports to (Functional)
HP Activities Manager, MH activities manager
Carrying out all activities involving social support to individual patients/survivors and linking them with other relevant support services and communities at large, according to MSF principles and guidelines. Enhancing the target population’s social condition to have an impact on health-related outcomes.
- Conducting social assessments, identifying the social support needs of patients/survivors, including legal, protection, shelter/housing, financial/vocational, food security, and access to medical and psychosocial support services beyond the project intervention scope.
- Supporting the provision of comprehensive care to patients and their families, by actively coordinating their work with the other members of the MSF multidisciplinary team (eg. medical, MHPSS) and linking with multi-sectoral services such as protection, safety, security, legal, justice, education, and livelihood.
- Providing direct social support based on social assessments and facilitating referrals to evaluated external re-sources. Provide systematic follow up care regarding attendance of clinical appointments, and following up on referrals made to relevant multi-sectoral services aimed at improving the quality of life of patients/survivors.
- Participating in the creation and maintenance of any material needed for the activities of social workers, including facilities and equipment in order to ensure continuity.
- Mapping and regular updating of formal and informal support services (incl.existing community resources). Assess quality of existing support services, with identification of gaps and advocacy for an improved culturally appropriate social response.
- Maintaining records, statistics, files, and reports on all social work activities and follow up care either provided by MSF or other support services. Identifying gaps in the available services and with the team prioritizing and developing plans following the objectives of MSF.
Bachelor degree in Social Work (BSW)
Two years minimum in a similar social job; experience with MSF or other NGOs, desirable.
Language Level Description
Threshold or intermediate
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
Person / material hygiene
Capacity to ensure adequate use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Knowledge and respect of universal standard precautions
Knowledge and respect of disinfection material guidelinesL1 Knowledge and respect of universal standard precautions
Knowledge and respect of disinfection material guidelines
Knowledge of possible drug side effects and interactions for most common drugs
Able to explain drug administration routes to patients
Knowledge of MSF drug management (right treatment of dangerous drugs, etc.)L2 Knowledge of possible drug side effects and interactions for most common drugs
Able to explain drug administration routes to patients
Knowledge of MSF drug management (right treatment of dangerous drugs, etc.)
Able to perform basic counseling and/or educational sessions under supervision
Able to identify cases presenting psycho-social problems
Social Sciences methodology
Able to administrate a quantitative questionnaire (interviewer)
Able to administrate socio-economical closed questionnaire
Able to collaborate in the mapping of a geographical area
Able to collaborate in the mapping of the different actors, organization, etc
Perform basic HP activities of prevention and mobilization
Manage no more than 1 or 2 HP approaches (including animation techniques )
Manage no more than 1 or 2 medical topic (for instance : cholera)
Understand of therapeutic feeding principles
Basic knowledge of normal physiology
Able to identify abnormal (pathological) cases
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates knowledge of and accepts MSF’s principles
- Respects the choices made by the organisation.
- Has basic knowledge of MSF’s mission and main activities.
- Respects and accepts the medical ethics and principles of MSF.
- Knows the difference between MSF’s activities and those of other NGOs and actors.
- Accepts changes without knowing the full reasons for them.
- Accepts new ideas in a positive way.
- Positively accepts changes in his/her environment.
- Accepts arguments opposed to his/her own.
- Is willing to listen and to take on new tasks in his/her job.
Manages own stress
- Expresses awareness of his/her own stress level.
- Is able to identify causes of his/her own stress and/or asks for help in detecting them.
- Is able to express to others his/her personal stressors at an appropriate time without
Results and Quality Orientation
Performs his/her work
- Knows objectives of the job.
- Defines tasks to achieve objectives and establishes a working plan.
- Reviews and checks his/her work to detect mistakes and to correct them immediately.
- Values high-quality work.
Knows and understands clients’ needs and interests
- Identifies and has a clear understanding of who the client to be served is.
- Identifies clients’ needs and concerns, and provides them with useful information and
- Listens to clients and asks them questions to determine their needs and motivations.
- Gets to know how the rest of the team works.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Acknowledges the importance of teamwork and cooperation
- Is responsible for his/her work because he/she knows the repercussions it has on the
team or on others.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with colleagues, is accessible
and listens to others.
- Cooperates with the team and supports decisions made.
- Demonstrates a predisposition to work with others and gives help when asked.
- Acknowledges there are common goals as well as individual objectives deriving from
the personal plan of action.