Reports to (Hierarchical)
According to protocols applied in the corresponding service(s) or ward(s) of a medical structure, carrying out sterilization of medical equipment, instrument and surfaces, according to MSF protocols and procedures and universal hygiene standards, in order to ensure an efficient quality of care and safe environment
- Knowing and strictly applying all specific sterilization and hygiene protocols and security rules. Proactively seeking advice and clarifications from the functional supervisor in case of doubt, about the specific protocols or procedure to follow in each specific case.
- Maintaining clean, disinfected and safe, the working environment allocated to his/her position, applying the specific protocols and using the tools and equipment provided. This includes cleaning all instruments in the sterilization solution and running them through the sterilizer, operating at the instructed correct time.
- Maintaining clean and organized, the sterilization area/room and equipment, recognizing all instruments as per the provided diagrams, organizing all instruments for packaging, packing the instruments according to the sets as directed by the supervisor and labeling all sets correctly with the expiry date clearly indicated
- Delivering the instruments to the different wards or departments
- Collecting and evacuating waste produced and by medical structures to the designated site, previously sorted by medical staff, emptying out dustbins as often as necessary to ensure an efficient quality of care and safe environment
- Reporting any repair or maintenance work needed related to sterilization to the supervisor, as well as any relevant information related to his/her responsibilities
- Ensuring availability of sterilized instruments and material, and drawing up orders for on-going needs
- Performing minor maintenance and cleaning of the biomedical equipment following user manual and protocols. Alerting the supervisor in case of malfunctioning of any device
Literacy (reading and writing). Internally trained by MSF desirable. OT training desirable
Previous experience in relevant positions desirable
Language Level Description
Threshold or intermediate
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
This job doesn't have technical skills.
Commitment to MSF’s Principles
Demonstrates knowledge of and accepts MSF’s principles
- Respects the choices made by the organisation.
- Has basic knowledge of MSF’s mission and main activities.
- Respects and accepts the medical ethics and principles of MSF.
- Knows the difference between MSF’s activities and those of other NGOs and actors.
- Accepts changes without knowing the full reasons for them.
- Accepts new ideas in a positive way.
- Positively accepts changes in his/her environment.
- Accepts arguments opposed to his/her own.
- Is willing to listen and to take on new tasks in his/her job.
Manages own stress
- Expresses awareness of his/her own stress level.
- Is able to identify causes of his/her own stress and/or asks for help in detecting them.
- Is able to express to others his/her personal stressors at an appropriate time without
Results and Quality Orientation
Performs his/her work
- Knows objectives of the job.
- Defines tasks to achieve objectives and establishes a working plan.
- Reviews and checks his/her work to detect mistakes and to correct them immediately.
- Values high-quality work.
Knows and understands clients’ needs and interests
- Identifies and has a clear understanding of who the client to be served is.
- Identifies clients’ needs and concerns, and provides them with useful information and
- Listens to clients and asks them questions to determine their needs and motivations.
- Gets to know how the rest of the team works.
Teamwork and Cooperation
Acknowledges the importance of teamwork and cooperation
- Is responsible for his/her work because he/she knows the repercussions it has on the
team or on others.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with colleagues, is accessible
and listens to others.
- Cooperates with the team and supports decisions made.
- Demonstrates a predisposition to work with others and gives help when asked.
- Acknowledges there are common goals as well as individual objectives deriving from
the personal plan of action.